Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Yes We Can!

What a rallying statement. I thought that the speech was inspiring and moving. I cried. I watched the results come in for as long as my eyes would permit me. Once Ohio came in and I was fairly confident of the result I nodded off at about 3.15 GMT. At 6.30 when I woke up I caught up on the three hours I missed. The BBC called it as soon as Washington State came in. I wish I had been able to stay awake.

The first speech I watched was John McCain's concession speech which I thought was wonderful. He conceded with amazing grace and dignity. A fellow blogger commented that "the guy has class" and I have to say I thought that was one classy speech. That said I couldn't be happier with the result.

Thank you America. I hope that the next four years see a change in global politics, greater cooperation and a peaceful solution to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. That's a hell of a weight to have on your shoulders - but if anybody can I believe that Barack Obama can.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yes! Well said, Janey! I echo your sentiments entirely.

I missed McCain's speech but was totally won by Obama's - what a speech! and he did it for me when he said there'd be a puppy in the White House! :-)

There's a long road ahead, but I think Obama's inspired hope, for Americans and for the rest of us. I have a goooood feeling about all this. Though, I've no doubt that there'll be some who are well-miffed.

Kiersten White said...

Yes, we did!

I was almost giddy when I took my little girl with me to vote yesterday. No doubt it will be difficult, but I'm very, very hopeful for the future.

liz said...

I've been walking around all day with a smile on my face.....wishing I was American and could really party!!! We were all so excited this morning, and I too listened to the whole 17mins of his amazing speech. He is an inspiration to all of us, especially our children, who I'm sure don't realise JUST how historic this is! Its the whole.."well, if he can do that...anyone can do anything"!
To an eternal optimist like me, thats a great message!
Well done for staying up til 3am by the way, I just got up as soon as the alarm went off at 5.45, instead of snoozing for 20mins....

liz
x

Aine said...

Janey-- it's so great to hear what others (such as yourself) around the world think. It was bothering me some this morning that I wasn't hearing much about the global reactions on American TV. So I came to the trusty internet (thank goodness for bloggers!).

As I said to my kids this morning-- would you want the playground bully to represent you among the other playground leaders?

Finally, I feel hope!
:)

Bee said...

JaneyV,
You said it so well. I agree with 100% of your comments. If I'd know you were up, we could have talked! I was hugging the couch until nearly 4 am.

Unknown said...

There was no way I could sleep til the end! :) I was awake for the whole thing. But I knew who won as soon as they stated that Obama had Ohio :)

JaneyV said...

Vanilla I hope that people now give the guy the time and chance to do the job properly. Things won't and can't change over-night. but I'm hopeful that when they do , it'll be for the better.

Kiersten I think it's so great that you took your daughter with you. It'll mean a lot to her to her when she's older. And as for the future ... well there's your 200th post to look forward to!

Liz I know - it was so exciting. I slept like a log last night though. I wonder if people felt like that the night JFK was elected?

Aine Believe me the world was watching this one very closely. Obama was the preferred choice of most Europeans. I watched it on BBC online. It's a good website to check out, both for news and BBC iplayer shows TV programs it's broadcast. Radio 4 has the BEST comedy shows.

Bee We could indeed. I was actually watching it online on the live streaming on the BBC website. I don't have a TV in the bedroom and it was too chilly downstairs. It was an exciting evening.

Sabrae Yes I knew it was in the bag once he had Ohio too. I think that's why my lids couldn't work against gravity any longer. It was awesome!

Fantastic Forrest said...

Followed you back from your post at Bee Drunken's place. I liked your blog's look and decided to check out whether we were soulmates. This post officially confirms it. :)

What's with the picture of Lake Chelan on your right sidebar? Just wondering, since I'm an Washingtonian with pictures I took in Ireland on my sidebar.

Oh, and were you born in Ireland?

JaneyV said...

Yes FF I am Irish, born and raised. I have lived here in England for twenty years now. The Lake Chelan picture was taken on vacation in Washington a couple of summers ago. My oldest friend lives in Seattle and we went over for her wedding which was in the mountains. After it we rented a cabin on the lake and had the most wonderful chilled out time. I must go over and check out your pics!