Friday, 7 November 2008

In Which My Dog Is A Real Girl.

Thanks everyone for the lovely birthday greetings yesterday. You sure know how to make a girl feel loved. My family knows too and we had a lovely dinner last night made for me by Hubby at which I ate my fill and then some. When I was surprised with a birthday cake for afters I could not even contemplate a slice. So as I left for work this morning my birthday cake was on our island unit back in the box only missing three slices (about a quarter).

"Goody," I thought, "there'll be something chocolatey for me to tuck in to with my tea this afternoon."

I returned home at about quarter to one to be greeted by Pooch in her usual bouncy manner. She went into heat a few days ago and being cooped up inside is making her stir crazy.

"Hello Sweety. Get down. Are you all excited to see me? Get down. For God's sake dog - these trousers are cream - for the love of all that's holy WILL YOU GET DOWN!!!!"

Suitable reprimanded she bounced off ahead of me into the kitchen. As I came to the door I realised with a sinking feeling that the floor was covered with debris. Bits of purple and silver everywhere.

"You didn't? What? The whole cake? All of it?" She so knew that she'd done wrong. Peeking up from her cowering position she gave me a look I recognised.

"I'm hormonal! Don't judge me - you of all people know that sometimes you just need chocolate."

She has a point.



Just in case all you dog lovers are horrified, I am aware that chocolate is toxic to dogs. I've been keeping a close eye on her and she has suffered no side-effects whatsoever. Makes me wonder just how much chocolate was actually in my chocolate cake!

Also can I briefly draw your attention to the little posteen I wrote below.

8 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

Yeah. Most 'chocolate' doesn't have much chocolate. It's a big rip off.

I'm glad your baby is ok, if bouncing off the walls on a major sugar high.

Natalie Whipple said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you didn't get your cake, and that your dog may be in peril.

That said, I'm so in the mood for chocolate cake now.

Robin B. said...

Sorry about the cake - and happy the puppy do is OK!

Whirlochre said...

In common with many beagles, my old pooch used to eat her own pooh. One day we caught her sitting in front of the fire with a big stogie sticking out of her mouth, looking like Winston Churchill.

As for cats — in her senility, mine has taken to sneaking into the bedroom at night, snuggling up on my pillow and licking my hair. It's kind of yucky but gentler than an alarm clock.

Unknown said...

I find the comment about the dog being hormonal and needing chocolate hilarious!!!!

Renee Collins said...

No! Oh man, I know that feeling. In many ways, I think of my 18 month old boy as a little puppy, and he has done similar damage.

Sorry about your cake. But, happy belated birthday!

Bee said...

What Sabrae said.

Precie said...

LMAO!

Glad she's ok!