Wednesday, 19 November 2008

In which Batman saved the day...

Small Son came home from school yesterday with the news that he was wearing Batman underpants.

"But you don't own Batman underpants. Did you have a little accident?"

"No. I did losted my Lightning McQueen ones."

"You lost your underpants?"

"Yes and Miss Scrumptious** did give me Batman ones when I was getting ready for football."

"But…but why did you take your underpants off in the first place? If you leave them on you won't lose them."

"I didn't take them off I just losed-ed them."

The conversation kind of went around in circles from there as I just couldn't figure out 1) why he took his undies off in the first place and 2) how they could've disappeared. So I gave the "what-a-funny-story! Wasn't-it-handy-Miss-Scrumpious-had-some-spares" answer to end the never-ending loop of the conversation.

Last night I dutifully washed the Batman undies and took them back to school this morning. As I handed them to his teacher I said,

"Here's your Batman underpants back. Thanks for the loan. Small Son said he lost his."

"No," she said, "he wasn't wearing any. He was getting ready for football, took his trousers off to reveal that he was in the altogether, decided he needed the loo and ran off down the corridor of the school during lunch break half naked. I had to chase after him with the spares."

"Oh my word," I said blushing, "I leave his clothes out for him but he dresses himself in the mornings. He's never forgotten his underpants before."

"Well he certainly gave all of us a giggle," she said.

Oh the shame! I can't believe I sent my son to school - commando. I guess now I have to add "underpants on?" to the list of things to check before leaving the house.


**(because she is Truly Scrumptious)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that story gives Ello's girls a run for their money. That's priceless.

Just think of it as your son embracing the natural wonders of his body....the running down the hall - well, I bet it does feel nice to have fresh air on your, er, altogethers.

You realize I'm going to have that song (Truly Scrumptious) stuck in my head all day.

Kiersten White said...

Best. Story. Ever.

Natalie Whipple said...

I have a feeling you'll be telling that one for a very long time. That's just hilarious.

Barrie said...

Hilarious!

fairyhedgehog said...

That gave me such a laugh.

Quail said...

Hilarious story! When I was little my brother used to go commando. I think it had a lot to do with Johnny Wissmuller's Tarzan get up.

Renee Collins said...

LOL!

btw, Truly Scrumptious is from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, right? Man, that was a kooky movie, but I sure loved it as a kid. :)

Bee said...

Does he read as he is getting dressed? Maybe he was just distracted, as opposed to forgetful.

At least he has a scrumptious teacher who keeps spare underpants!

McKoala said...

Princess has done that. Twice. Once she pulled up her dress right in front of the school gates to prove to me that she really had 'degotten'.

And we think they're old enough for school.

Robin B. said...

Commando cutie. What a sweet story!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Absolutely Hilarious!!

And there's one for my list of Things I Never Thought I'd Say:

"Here's your Batman underpants back. Thanks for the loan."

I can't stop giggling...

JaneyV said...

Thank you all for your comments. I'm still giggling at the thought of him streaking down the corridor at school!

I'm rushing about like a mad thing today so I'm really sorry I can't reply to your comments individually, but I'm really glad to have brought some cheer into your days!

(Oh and yes Renee, Truly Scrumptious is from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ... and now it's stuck in my head again!)
Our hearts beat so unruly
Because we love you truly
Honest Truly, we do

Sarah Laurenson said...

LOL

What a great story. And you shared it so well.

Monnik said...

Ha! This is great! I love it! :)