Tuesday, 11 November 2008

On A Wild And Windy November Day.....

**This is the post that should've gone up yesterday.**

Inspired by Absolute Vanilla (and when I say inspired - you know I mean I'm ripping off her fabulous idea), I've decided to take you on a walk with me (and The Pooch) through the wild, wild November weather, around my neighbourhood. The aim of this is just to show you what I see every day. It's not an historical tour. It's more of a peek into my world.

I live in a village so tiny it doesn't even qualify for the term 'village" - it's called a Hamlet. This is because it doesn't have it's own church. Too small. The local Church of England church (which dates back to the early 13th Century) is about 2 miles down the road. It's wonderful and rural and quiet and quintessentially English. I love living here.

Aside from the fact that I am severely photographically challenged I have to warn you that it was pouring with rain and I couldn't see through my specs most of the time. The quality of the following is therefore pretty poor. Looking at them I have to say I'm disappointed by how static they are. I want a Harry Potter Wizarding camera because these just don't convey how blustery it was. The wind was howling like a banshee and if it hadn't been chucking it down I'd have been soaked by the water that was being shaken out of the trees.

To begin then....

So this is my little cul-de-sac. Pooch takes off ahead, as usual. She's very excited!Turning left at the end of my road and we're on School Lane. These Cottages were originally built by the council as cheap housing for locals. Along the grass verge were planted an avenue of maple trees which I guess is why they call the Mapleleaf Cottages. Just along this road is where Small Son goes to school. It's literally a minute's walk from the house.Poochie is still barrelling ahead as we pass this beautiful beech hedge.
In case you wondered why I was leaving the dog run off the lead, it's because she's well trained. When she comes to the point where we have to cross the street she sits down and waits for me. That and I shout "WAIT". Good Pooch.
Lead on and we head to the end of the road.
At the intersection is where we find the village pub and pond. Mr and Mrs Duckie don't seem to mind that it's pouring down!
Whizzing across the road here's the gate into the quagmire of fun. Once through here Poochie is off the lead and free to chase rabbits and shoo the pheasants into the air.
WAIT FOR ME!She has to wait for me actually because I have to open (and close - I know the countryside code) the gate into the next field. This is where I sit and watch the clouds go by. Today, though, I appear to be walking through a cloud so I press onward trying not to think about how wet I'm getting.Pooch regularly disappears into the hedgerow to chase rabbits. It's really funny when they don't run fast enough because she stops to give them a chance to get away. Here she is popping back through the hedge after a jolly good chase. As usual - completely rabbitless.

Into the woods and the first thing that's noticeable is that the tiny little bubbling brook has flooded and running rather more rapidly than usual.
Still there's lots of prettiness to be seen.
Don't be fooled by this little slope - one false step and you're on your arse slip-slidin' away!
I do a full circuit around the wood back past the bench again and out to the road by the pub.
Facing the other way we're on the homeward stretch.
Past the converted stables with the funny little chimney thing on the roof.
How old is this sign? The red edging is almost faded away. It's rather battered too. And if truth be told, although beautifully legible from the pathway, I doubt very much any passing cars ever notice it!
And here we are - back again. I hope that you had fun coming on my little venture into masochism. I advise getting straight into jammies and warm socks and having a big mug of soup.
From Poochie and me. Ta-rah!

Of course, because the fates' sense of humour is notoriously perverse, the sun is shining in all its glory today. So I'm off out now to do it all again in what are hopefully friendlier conditions!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... ;-)

I loved coming with you on your walk and I'm glad I managed to stay dry.
Your village/hamlet is a delight - I want to come and live there too!

Sarah Laurenson said...

Looks wonderful. And I actually love the rain since we get so little of it here.

My dogs would love the chase rabbits part. Not sure if they would let them get away though. Hard to tell.

Natalie Whipple said...

Wow, gorgeous. I love how much green there still is. It's going brown pretty quick around here now.

I love walks, and I would love to walk through all that.

JaneyV said...

Oh Vanilla I am very sincere in my appreciation of your brilliance! When you move over next year we'll take a stroll and how about we stop off at the pub on the way back. The food is excellent!

Sarah Pooch is three parts gun dog/one part collie so her breed is all about chasing and rounding up. If your dogs have a bit of terrier in them then they'll be desperate to catch them. Which, considering you are vegetarian, leaves you with a bit of a dilemma! But if you guys find yourself in the neighbourhood with your babies, believe me there won't be time for rabbit chasing. If there's one thing Pooch loves more than chasing game is playing with other dogs!

Natalie we've had a lot of rain this year. It does get a parched look during the summer though. But the woods… the woods are magical - emerald green in summer, gold and bronze in Autumn, purple with bluebells in spring and moist and mossy in winter.

Unknown said...

Can I come live in your neighboor hood? LOL It is sooo pretty!

JaneyV said...

Sure Sabrae if the miserable weather hasn't put you off! It's lovely here and believe me I know how lucky I am ;0)

Blogless Troll said...

Beautiful, even when drenched.

Renee Collins said...

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous! Your little corner of the world is absolutely gorgeous!

I loved taking that walk with you! Pictures of a walk in my neighborhood would be so boring and ugly that I would probably lose all of my friends. (okay, that's an exagerration.)

Anyway, I also wanted to say that your dog is completely beautiful as well. It makes me wish I had one.

Robin B. said...

Oh, I love this post! Thanks for sharing your walk and your day, Janey!

Whirlochre said...

Hope you've managed to dry yourself out. This looks great, and I may take it up as an honourary meme when my new mobile phone arrives next week. And my cat lets me out of the basement.

JaneyV said...

BT Why thank you - yes I am … oh you mean the scenery?

Renee it's a lovely place to live and thank you for admiring the Pooch. She is the best doggie ever.
I think the interesting thing about this "walk around my neighbourhood" business is how the seemingly mundane things we see every day are interesting to others. You might think your neighbourhood is boring and ugly but I bet if you brought your camera with you on a walk you'd find quirky things to show us!

Thanks Robin - I bet there are some great walks in Virginia!

Whirl I had just about dried out when I had to go out again to fetch Small Son by which time it had developed into a monsoon. I wet through to the skin by the time I'd passed my next door neighbour's. So it was jammies on at 3.30 that day!
Do do it (Ha I said do do!) I think it'd be a really interesting thing to see a slice of everyone's neighbourhood!

Barrie said...

What a fun idea! I enjoyed "walking" with you.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

My absolute favorite picture is the last one. You are so adorable!!!