When you do a lot of shopping online, as I do, you inevitably end up with a lot of SPAM clogging up your inbox telling you about this deal and that. Some of it I've even read - most of it, however, gets ticked and deleted pretty much immediately. I don't mind this. I use these shops so I'm happy to hear of any offers they have. My SPAM filter has finally started working properly so I don't get the messages about penis enlargement, natural viagra, rolex watches and the gross porny ones that make pop-ups pop up everywhere, any more. (**Big sigh of relief** - there was a time when I used to have the worst SPAM filters on earth - it was russian roulette every time you opened mail.)
As the credit crunch has bitten I have found that all these companies seem to be luring in with the promise of great discounts and offers. If I had any money this would be a great time to be a consumer. Here are a few of the subject lines of the Junk I've gotten in the last couple of days.
Play.com: Christmas Offers Save Up To 80%!
SALE Now On - Up To 50% Off at Blooming Marvellous
Free Delivery on all Tesco Entertainment orders plus Mamma Mia DVD for just 7.99 GBP
Johnnie Boden: Hello Jane, 17.5 percent Off and free delivery on all orders
CB2: raising holiday spirits at low CB2 prices
Perfect Christmas puddings from Lakeland
Big Red Warehouse: FOR 2 DAYS ONLY - Up to 60% off!
Great little Trading Co.: Best Ever Offer - extended until Sunday - 20% off & free P&P
Fran Cotton: Half price fur lined boot ready for winter
Amazon: Save 25% on "What Would Jesus Buy? Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk [2007]" on DVD
I have to say I did wonder what, in my reading choices at Amazon, made them think I'd be interested in that one!
Then today I got one that made me smile. In these penny-pinching, credit-crunchy, desperate times isn't it lovely to see that there are still some shops who think I should have the finer things in life....
Waitrose: Half Price Champagne and Salmon for one week only
Is it any wonder it's my favourite place to shop or indeed that I don't have two brass farthings to rub together!
7 comments:
It is a buyers market out there - for everything. It's a good time to buy a house (if you can get financed), or a car (ditto).
So many extra sales because the stores are afraid (rightfully so) that they won't get their financial shot in the arm like they usually do this time of the year. And all of the non-profits are hurting because donations are down.
I've gotten a lot of similar sales e-mails. Interesting to see how different it is from my country to yours.
Champagne and salmon! You can enjoy them while you're writing out your answers to the tag you just got smacked with.
Ha! I love those spam. Sometimes they are so funny. But, hey, looks like they can be profitable sometimes.
It really is a buyers market, like Sarah said. Too bad I can't really take advantage of it.
Hey Whirl,
Nuke-O-Hula Spam Destructior (alyser) (II) destroys invasive email intrusions just like this one...
(Interestingly, the word verification for this comment is 'somart')
Hey my spam is always about the south african bank account that wants to send me millions of dollars!!!
We all agree--you have superior taste!
I tend to read everyone's responses on my e:mail which is why I don't respond very quickly. And as I have the concentration of a gnat these days, I sometimes think I've responded when actually that response has, in reality, just been in my head. So apologies to everyone if I occasionally make the assumption that you're mindreaders. I think I may be a little bit dotty.
Sarah Having bought a house just before world finances went south and strapping myself to a strangulating mortgage wasn't perhaps the wisest of decisions. My ten-year-old car needs replacing, it's never been a better time to buy a car and I just can't do it. Ends have to meet. It's not surprising that donations are down and yet this is the time to be more generous. Aye - there's the rub!
Pete Thanks! I had a quick gander (but I was in a rush as I was called to do something mothery) at your meme and I will get to it. I also have an outstanding (and by that I mean - not done yet) meme from Absolute Vanilla about books which I think I might incorporate with yours. Interesting eh? Am I even capable of interesting? This will require thought!
You and me bothRenee. I really must start doing the lottery again.
Whirl Mom-in-Scrubs tells me I have very funny word verifications. Maybe they are linked to the post theme somehow. Maybe Blogger is learning to think....Next stop Skynet and Judgement Day! And this the day that cyborg Natalie blogged about Terminator. Coincidence?
Ello apparently those ones are often some bloke in a cupboard in Holland tricking the gullible out of their life savings. You must stay vigilant on your brain-fartiest days. Personally I'm far more likely to send them my keys and put my millions in the fridge.
Barrie I couldn't agree more! Nw if the just had an offer on Green and Black's chocolate...
Post a Comment