Monday, 3 November 2008

What a Beepin' Racket!

Everything beeps.

Recently I was laying in bed about to drop off to sleep when the dishwasher started beeping. "I'm finished" is what it was telling me but honestly I got the message the first time - it really didn't have to keep it up for 15 minutes. By that time I was experiencing the anticipation of the beep and that was keeping me awake. When at last it didn't come I began to relax and nod off again only to be woken by a different beep - this time much more insistent - from the washing machine. It was behind two sets of closed doors and had I not been awake it wouldn't have bothered me but even though it was distant it bugged me till I got up.

Then I really was awake. As I lay in my bed busy not sleeping I began to think about the insidiousness of the electronic beep. It's all around us - reminding us, cajoling us, keeping us on our toes.

The first thing I hear in the morning is an alarm going off in my daughter's room which, despite the fact that it is right next to her, she ignores. Occasionally she will turn it off but normally only after I've shouted like a demon to "turn that ***sted thing off!"
By that time I'm attuned to the other alarm (of Big Son) going off. His one has a snooze function and also a beep that becomes louder and more annoying the longer you ignore it - up until it's a continuous tone. He normally sleep through it.

My two older children get up earlier than me as they have to leave to catch a bus. It's a busy time downstairs as Hubby and older kids make lunches and breakfast and the microwave is busy making porridge and softening butter. It beeps for a good half hour off and on. Big Son's digital watch beeps every half hour to keep him focussed on the time and Daughter then has an alarm on her phone to remind her when it's 8am so that she doesn't miss the bus. If there are any text messages to be sent there is endless beeping and buzzing too until at last at about 8.05 quiet returns. Small Son and I manage to get ourselves sorted without recourse to a single beeping thing before we head out the door.

Driving through town there are something like seven sets of traffic lights, each with a pedestrian crossing, which beep when the green man (WALK sign) is showing. It's very seldom a drive around isn't interrupted by sirens (even in my little backwater). You pop into the shop on the way to work and the tills beep, the bar-code readers beep, the card readers beep, the ATM beeps as if objecting to you withdrawing your own cash and when you get back to your car the remote control central locking beeps at you.

By the time I have arrived into work to sixteen hyperactive four/five year-olds I am already on edge from the cacophonous world around me.

Craving quiet and solitude I revel in the walks I have with the dog in the clean country air. Is it any wonder then that I scream with fury at the air force chinooks that regularly pass across this green and pleasant land (probably taking Prince Wills to another party).

Everything we own these days is on keypads (phones, alarm systems, remotes) and every one of the beeps to let you know that you've pressed a button. The piece de resistance is when I come to make the dinner at night. We don't have any gas in my village so my hob is an electric halogen hob. It is completely flat. All the controls are touch sensitive and, you guessed it, every time it is touched it beeps. If your vegetables boil over and hot water gets on these controls it screeches an error message at you. Beep! Beep! Beep! Bloody Bloody BEEEEEEEEEEEP!

By the end of the day I'm frazzled. I put on the dishwasher and go to bed. With any luck I'll already be asleep by the time it starts to beep.

10 comments:

The Lowe said...

Nice post.

Barrie said...

I think I'll be noticing beeps all day now! My microwave has a particularly obnoxious beep. and it won't stop until you push cancel. I turned the beep off on my dryer. I've had my husband disconnect the beep on my calculator. Actually, I wonder if he can disconnect the beep on the microwave? Thanks! You've given me a great idea! it's time to de-beep my life. end of very long comment...

Natalie Whipple said...

I'm sorry for all the beeps. Not many of my appliances beep unless I want them to. No beeping washing machine or dryer.

Though my microwave does, and if you don't come get the food immediately, it will continue to beep every minute or so. I really don't like that.

Aine said...

I am particularly bothered by snooze alarms. Why someone must hit a snooze alarm six times before getting up, when they could've been getting another 30 minutes of good healthy sleep, is beyond me.

I saw an alarm clock that I will buy for my daughters if they ever start the snooze alarm habit-- it is a clock on great big wheels. When the snooze alarm button is pressed, the clock runs away and hides somewhere in your room, still beeping. One is forced to get out of bed to turn it off.

JaneyV said...

The Lowe - Nice new avatar!

Barrie That's the thing once you start to notice them you really do notice them. I'm sure that we think we become immune to the noise pollution around us but actually I think it's driving us crazy on an unconscious level. Go for it! De-beep your life and leave as many very long comments as you like! ;0)

Natalie You are so lucky to have beep-free appliances. Imagine if everything you had with a plug beeped like your microwave!

What irritatees me most is that they seem to come with beep automatically on these days and you have to wade through the 6" thick manual to find if they can be turned off. Sometimes we need them. My washing machine is in a room that I only go to to do laundry - if it didn't beep I'd forget to put the laundry in the dryer - and I do laundry for five mucky people. The thing that has started to wind me up is that there is an assumption that we need all these auditory reminders. I really don't think it's necessary.

Aine there's something about the teenage brain that can sleep through anything. Big Son sleep through all the noise that wakes me up at the other side of the house. Don't be surprised if it's you that's forced to find the beeping alarm clock while our daughter sleeps on oblivious!! ;0)

Unknown said...

LOL - funny, aside from the microwave and the oven timer I'm not remotely conscious of any beeps around me - twits, yes, but not beeps! And D's alarm, wait for it, does not beep, it cackles like a guinea fowl in a stonk!

Hope you have a beep free night!

JaneyV said...

Vanilla - the oven timer! Of course! I forgot that one. And of course there's my personal favourite - the smoke detector that seem to go off every time I open the oven door (yes I know - it needs cleaning!) or put toast in the toaster!

As annoying as beeps are I think they are just a symptom of a greater problem of pointless noises. Have you ever jumped when someone's phone rang because their ringtone sounded like a disco just cranked up in their pocket? Only you can tell us if the guinea fowl alarm clock falls into that bracket!!! ;0)

Unknown said...

Never really thought of all the things that beep! lol

Whirlochre said...

Worse thing is when a beeper dies and your beeper alert beeper goes off...

Mom In Scrubs said...

I too crave silence. COVET it!!

The worst was my first job in an Intensive Care Unit. EVERYTHING had a different alarm, or tone, or beep. Seemed like everyone else could ignore most of them but me. I was always asking, "What's that? Is that one important?!?" Sure that someone was dying and no one was paying attention.

I would go home after a 12 hour shift and hear the cacophony in my head until I could finally fall asleep.

Funny, though, after about a month, I was just like everyone else. I knew which ones were important and which were just noise. And if we got a new piece of equipment and it started beeping, everyone went nuts until they figured out what it was.

Ugh. Noise pollution. BIG problem!! Great post!