Tuesday, 18 November 2008

I Bet Samson Was Like This....

Yesterday, after much persuasion, Big Son went to the barbers for a haircut. To say that his hair was 'a bit long' is a bit like saying Hitler was 'a bit mean', it so underestimates his former hairiness. It was down past his shoulders when dry. His fringe reached the end of his nose. When he went out in the cold with his winter hat on - he looked like a clown. (I haven't yet mentioned that Big Son has a big ol' mop of curls yet have I? - Well he has - LOADS of 'em). Frankly it was a bit of a state.

What finally convinced him that he should brave a haircut? At learning review day last week, his science teacher pointed out that it was a health and safety risk in a lab full of bunsen burners. He didn't fancy going the saddo ponytail route so off he popped to the local Barbers before he went to school yesterday.

When it was his turn he sat in front of the mirror and the big burly barber swooshed the black backwards apron (favoured by the haridressing fraternity) around his neck before issuing a long whistle and stroking his chin in a manner befitting the average builder.

"Big job," he said, shaking his head, "Do you want me to give you a quote before I start?"

Unfortunately Big Son didn't get it but Hubby, who has had every kind of tradesman try and pull a fast one, thought it was hysterical. Big Son was just glad that the buzzer never came out and at the end he still had a mop of curls but could now see where he was going.

When he was little he just went when he was told because he got a sticker and a lolly pop. Haircuts are a very different kettle of poissons, however, when you're a teenager.

8 comments:

Kiersten White said...

I know that sedation dentistry is getting pretty popular. I'd like sedation barbering. My little boy freaks out--FREAKS OUT--over haircuts. This last time there was minimal thrashing, but every cut he sobbed and said, "It's ouchy!"

I'm glad Big Son kept his curls though!

JaneyV said...

Kiersten Small Son was just like Dojo. We got around it by letting him sit on Hubby's lap for haircuts. Now they have it done at the same time - tandem haircuts - it's really cute. And as for Big Son's curls … I love them too!

Whirlochre said...

Some fitness guru ought to invent a workout for Mums with teenage sons who need dragging to the barbers...

Natalie Whipple said...

Boys wear their hair so long these days, but I will admit I love a little length when they have the curls to pull it off. Sounds like Big Son does.

Now, I won't get started on the straight-haired boys who try to grow out their hair and look freaking ridiculous...

Mom In Scrubs said...

My boy's got some wave action going on...every soccer season he thinks he wants to grow it, then JeepMan convinces him to cut it...I wouldn't mind if he grew it a little, but it sounds like there will be time enough for that in a few years!!

Seeing where you're going is vastly underrated by the teenage boys of today.

My word verification is "SPIDWA"

Don't know what that is but it sounds derogatory!

Unknown said...

How funny! :) My nephew went the long route once in high school... he to has a mop of curly hair!!! His mom (my sister) buzzed it while he slept becuz he kept saying he was going to go to the barber and kept putting it off! lol now when she tells him to get a hair but boy he goes!! lol and he doesn't even live with her and he's in college! lol

JaneyV said...

For the fitness-minded Whirl that would indeed be handy. For the that's-way-too-much-hassle-minded (like yours truly) I think a hypnotism course might be the kiddy.

Too right Natalie - for me it's all about whether or not they can see or be seen. I don't understand the camouflage aspect of teenage hair - if you don't want to be noticed, cut your hair and stop walking in to things. I'm so middle-aged!

MIS SPIDWA sounds a bit like spitwad which isn't actually a real word but you could imagine what it might mean!

And a few waves and curls are lovely but short is easier to take care of. Ah the dilemmas we face…

Sabrae I can't believe your sister buzz cut his hair in his sleep! Big Son would never talk to me again! Still I know he'd definitely sleep through it. Now teenage boys and sleep - that's a whole 'nother post!!!

Bee said...

And girls aren't a bit better! Mine sweat every quarter inch of their stringy, straight hair!

You made me laugh with the "bunsen burner" risk bit.