Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Why Sick Children Should Stay at Home

It's beautiful here in the sunny South East of England. The sky is a clear blue, the temperature is in the high 70's and there's a refreshing breeze blowing. You could be forgiven for thinking it was finally summer.

So why is it that my two younger children have all the appearances of little people who've had Slimer from Ghostbusters crawl up their noses and explode into an ectoplasm nightmare? All I can hear is sniff sniff and uurh. Neither of them want any food and are as miserable as a depressed clown with a drinking problem. The Daughter wasn't so bad this morning. In fact (I will guiltily admit) I thought she was faking it because Small Son got to stay at home yesterday. The great thing about being a stay at home Mum is that you don't have to wrestle with whether to keep your kid at home when they're unwell. I'm a firm believer in not spreading germs around. And also, if you rest up -you'll get better quicker. That said with a cold - it's more a case of keeping yourself hydrated and not doing too much. There's no need to confine yourself to barracks. Just take it easy, is all. T (who's convalescing after a minor operation) and I had planned for a picnic today. We thought a bit of sun and fresh air would do our little snot monsters the world of good so we decided we'd go ahead with it.. After all it's only a runny nose.

So I did a bit of study this morning while Small Son and Daughter filled the living room floor with tissues and by 1pm I'd downed books and pen, T had packed the picnic and we were off. We went to a viewpoint about 20 minutes away where you can see a river snake its way to sea at Cuckmere Haven.
It is stunning. We found a sunny spot, spread out out picnic blanket, T and I unfolded our camping chairs and we set to work spreading out the food.

They weren't having any of it. Small Son ate a tube of fromage frais and had some apple juice. Daughter picked at a piece of bread and wouldn't drink anything. Both her father and I were getting a bit irritated and we pointed out that even if she didn't feel like eating she really must drink some juice. She made that whiny nasal noise that makes me crazy and pushed her bottom lip out. But I was firm

"You need to drink something."

She crawled off in a huff and hid behind my chair saying she was too hot. By the time that T and I had finished our sandwiches and tea (perfect picnic tea - tastes like plastic, out of a thermos flask) it was clear that we had to pack up and go. She'd now developed a headache and needed to go lie down in a cool room. I was now beginning to feel guilty as I watched the colour drain from her face and I packed everything up again.

Small Son, The Pooch and I took the lead. Small Son, too, was fading by this point and said he was very tired. We'd walked up the path toward the car a ways when we met another couple with a dog. They'd arrived at the same time as us and we exchanged a few pleasantries and asked why we were leaving so soon.

"The children are a bit unwell" I explained, "Colds! I thought some fresh air would perk them up, but it's too hot for them."

T and Daughter hadn't caught up and after a few minutes I decided to drop what I was carrying and go back and see what was keeping them. Just as I'd set off I saw them come up the path, Daughter looking like a ghost.

"She's been a bit unwell," said T.

Poor Daughter. We got her back to the car and whanged up the air con to make her more comfy and I drove straight home. Whatever horrid lurgi she has - it's not just a cold!

I was still worried about her being dehydrated when we got home and I suggested she try an fruit-juice ice-lolly (popsicle). The house was nice and cool and I thought she'd feel better. And she did - right after she threw up the blackcurrant flavoured (and therefore deep purple) ice lolly all over the cream living room carpet. Stupid carpet - obviously we didn't lay it (we are not the type of family for whom cream anything is a practical option) - I spend my time warning the kids not to spill things on it.

Poor thing was so worried I'd be cross. I'm talking about drinks and messy food kids - you can't help being sick! It's only a stupid carpet. She's curled up with her duvet and pillow on said carpet now (although far away from messy bit). It's all clean again anyhow. She says she's comfy down there on the floor. The Mr Bump cool pad is going warm on her forehead. She's not even keeping water down.

I wonder what demonic little bug, crept into her system seeing her a bit weakened by the sniffles, and knocked the stuffing out of her. This is why sick kids should stay at home and not try to tough it out at school. One bug leads to another.

I hope it's not too contagious!

5 comments:

PJD said...

Poor little dears! I hope they get well soon.

Barrie said...

I thought the stomach flu wasn't allowed in the summer.

May she feel better soon.

Whirlochre said...

Excess mucus in winter = bad, but to be expected.

Excess mucus in summer = much worse.

Excess mucus in winter, dripping from kids = nightmare.

Excess mucus in summer, dripping from kids = nightmare (plus bonus double nightmare)

I hate going into school on Big Sick Day when 'the bug that's going around' really has looped the loop over every nostril/backside — all those kids sat outside reception with their buckets, waiting to be picked up. Yuck.

JaneyV said...

Pete and Barrie I'm delighted to report they're both much better today. The sicky tummy went on right into the evening but we've had no bouts today thank goodness. Thanks for your well wishes!

WO - I used to work in a school and I remember those days so well. There's nothing quite as pathetic as a child sitting in his/her coat waiting to be picked up with a basin in his/her lap is there? We had a terrible outbreak of the gawks one day and I remember seeing 6 kids waiting to be picked up all looking green and when one started ..... well you can imagine!

PJD said...

Glad to hear they're doing better. My 8 year old had something like that back in February, and after one day of pretty violent illness, he slept for three straight days. Then he was fine. I hope yours is quicker.