Thursday, 10 July 2008

"Running Wind" Short Fiction Contest

photograph by Jason Evans

Jason is having another contest over at Clarity of Night. Jason's contests are wonderful!! It was his Whispers contest that saw me finally getting out of the writer closet. I'm so grateful to him for that gentle nudge. I have met so many of my online buddies as a direct result.

The way it works is that he gives you one of his own photographs as inspiration (above) and lets you get on with it - within the confines of a 250 word limit. As always, he has wonderful prizes (including an 8 x 10 print of the "Running Wind" photograph inscribed by Jason Evans himself for 1st). The very best thing about a Clarity of Night Contest, though, is the amazing camaraderie of all the participants. Everybody gives lots of encouragement. Everyone's welcome. You don't have to be a blogger or have a website or anything just email your piece to Jason. So if the picture stirs something within and you fancy a shot - why not give it a try. I guarantee you will be welcomed with open arms! Closing date is 11:00 p.m., Wednesday, July 16th (Eastern Time, United States). I will certainly try myself - if I can catch up with all the coursework I'm still so dreadfully behind in.

Finally as of today, all is back to normal. My lovely Hubby is all recovered from his little op (hernia repair - very minor but he wasn't allowed to drive for, like, ages after) and the kiddies have stopped spewing nasty germs about. So it's just me and the Pooch now having a bit of a chill.

It's awfully quiet around here!

10 comments:

PJD said...

Very glad to hear the family are all better! I am hoping to write something for Jason's contest, but I'm not sure I'll have time. I enjoyed the last one (which was the first time I participated) a lot.

Bee said...

Someday I will participate, but not this day!

Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear that health and peace have been restored to your home.

McKoala said...

Glad you are all better.

One day you'll do the voice thing with us, won't you?

JaneyV said...

Pete - I look forward to your entry. I just need to get the time and I'll be there too.

Bee - even if you don't want to enter do check in on it as it's always interesting to see what everyone comes up with.

McK - maybe! It's a bit nerve-wracking though but everyone else has done it and I'm thinking it's a bit silly not to. Do we have to read our own work?

Her Indoors said...

ooo I might well give that a go! I like a writing challenge and The Book is not getting me going at the moment... and glad you are having a nice feet up moment with your canine and that everyone well again. x

JaneyV said...

Thanks Cathy, We're all fine thank goodness! If you have a bit of time go for it. It's good to challenge yourself occasionally! I love seeing all the different angles people come up with. I learned a lot from the last one. Have a look anyway - the first 10 entries or so are already up!

Barrie said...

Oh Janey, we both have post-hernia-op hubbies! glad your world is getting back to normal. Hope you're able to submit to Jason's contest.

Natalie Whipple said...

LOVE the template. So earthy and organic.

JaneyV said...

Natalie - which one did you see? I'm stuck between the butterflies and the one with the brownish edging called Tin Roof (no cats though). I was like a kid in a sweet shop trying them all out! I have a feeling it might change again!!

Thanks for giving me the link to the template wonderland!

Esther Avila said...

janeyV,
Thank you for the kind comments you left on my story at Jason's site. I'm happy you liked it.
It even pulled on my heartstrings.