Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Hair Today…

You know I'm not easily offended. Mostly I think people who say mean things made a mistake, used a wrong word or aren't especially good at expressing themselves. Sometimes someone being insensitive is more about you being over-sensitive. I'm a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda person. I try to hear what people mean rather than what they say.

But, then occasionally you hear something that you know you should ignore but it just rubs that raw insecure little bit in your psyche and BAM! you're obsessing before you know it.

An elderly woman (84) I was talking to on Sunday asked me if Small Son was my grandchild.

Oh. My. Good. Golly. Gosh!

I'm 41! And although technically, when I had him at age 36, I suppose I was old enough to be a Granny, I'm still young enough to bear children. If I wanted to. Which I don't. But if I did, I could. Now I realise that there are a lot of real Grandmothers out there who will be miffed at my outrage but I can't help it. If someone thinks you're a Granny - what they're really saying is that you look old enough to be one.

It's my hair see. I'm blighted by my Celtic genes. We don't seem to able to hang on to our pigmentation. Hence we freckle instead of tan and we go grey very young in life. (Not all Celts do this - but a higher proportion than other ethnic groups). I found my first grey hair when I was 14 around the same time as I hit puberty. Ah the irony of that really socks it to me!

By the time I was 23 I'd started to colour my hair. I only had a minor sprinkling at that time - but enough for people to notice and make comments. The I had Big Son aged 28 and suddenly I had a streak. Aged 30 I had Daughter and the whiteness spread even further. I tried going blonde for a while but I just didn't recognise the pasty-faced individual with the yellow hair looking back at me from the mirror. After a year or two I went back to my more natural looking reddy-brown. When, at age 36, Small Son came along, it was as though the last of the melanin reserves were wiped out and I resigned myself to colouring my hair every three weeks until my chronological age caught up with my hair age and I'm finally able to ditch it. Yes every three weeks. Because even though I have no colour in my hair - it is very thick and tremendously fast-growing.

At the weekend it was looking particularly bad. Since moving here I haven't had a haircut. It takes me ages to find a hairdresser that'll be able to handle my bonce. It's not an easy head to tame. So I put it off - and off - and off, until I looked like I was wearing a haystack wig instead of having hair. With white roots.

It really was an awful mess. But to think someone thought I was a Granny. Geez Louise - something had to be done.

So I found a hairdresser, took the plunge and had it all chopped off. Tonight I fill in the blanks and return it to a natural-looking auburn. My next door neighbour saw it first and she kindly told me that it looked great - apparently it took years off me! (The pit of my tummy ached at the thought that years needed to be taken off me). But I cheered up. I went to get Small Son from Pre-school.

"Hey Honey did you have a good morning?"

"Yes! Yes! Mama you did cutted all you hair."

"I did. Do you like it?"

"Yes! Yes! Now you are a man!"

Good Grief! From granny to a bloke! And it didn't stop there. Daughter said I looked like Anne Robinson. (She of The Weakest Link). Can a girl catch a break?

Then Hubby came home and smiled at me and told me I looked great and it really suited me. I knew there was a reason I love him so much. He's just lovely.

I just saw the beginning of the last post where I claimed "I'm all about the natural - me." Well obviously - I'm more about looking natural and using any ol' fake means to achieve it! I'll put a photo up soon.

8 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

Oh that cracks me up. Leave it to a kind old lady to really make you feel awful. My mom got it bad when I went with her to one of my litte sister's doctor's appointments. The doc thought she was the grandma! I was apparently the 15 yr old mother...a bit traumatizing for me as well.

We go grey early in my family as well. My mom has nearly black hair and was pretty grey by 30.

I'm already coloring my hair. My brother has grey flecks. But of course he just looks distinguished...

I doubt you look like a man, lol. Kids are so silly.

PJD said...

ROFL

Your husband appears to have wisdom beyond his years, while you appear to have years beyond your... years. And your son... gotta love kids.

And now you understand the hidden secret bliss of being (mostly) bald: no hair color or styling issues of any kind. It's like God said, "You... you'll be mocked in comedy clubs, but you'll save a ton of money on hair products."

Calamity Granny. Gotta love it. :-)

Kiersten White said...

Now you are a man...wow, that made me laugh. Adorable. Don't feel too bad--the other day my four-year-old laughed and told me, "You're not a girl, you're just a mommy!"

I go the opposite side--people think I'm the teenage nanny. And then when they find out my two kids are actually my two kids, they look at me really hard trying to figure out if I am, indeed, eighteen.

No, I am not.

Kiersten White said...

Also, loved this post, and loved the comments you made on my blog. You are so funny. I like you, gray hair or not.

The Lowe said...

Oh it's happened to me TWICE! I think, can kind strangers not err on the side of flattery? Please.

Unknown said...

LOL!!! Brilliant story!

Anyway, I betcha look stunning!

And if it's any consolation my mother looked at me today, and said, "My you've got quite a bit of grey appearing in your hair." Charming. After I'd given her a whithering look, reminded her of the shade of her own locks, she conceded that actually, "it looks rather nice, sort of like highlights."

Yes, well...

Bee said...

Well, in some ways it is worse if someone thinks you are pregnant! But yes, the grandmother thing is a bummer, too.

One good thing about having blonde hair, both naturally and enhanced, is that gray (I prefer the word silver, actually) hair blends in pretty well.

It is always nice to get a good hair-whack, actually.

And yes, your husband is a rare jewel.

Mom In Scrubs said...

I love your blog skin!! I need to find one...but I'm sorta attached to my current layout.

Kinda like taking the plunge and getting a great haircut!!

If it makes you feel any better, my 7 year old askes me frequently if I'm having another baby. I'd think he were kidding, but he gets really excited about it!

Yargh. I'm going to do some pilates now.