Wednesday, 4 March 2009

This Post is Brought to You Today By The Letter D

So in line with wonderful Absolute Vanilla and the equally marvelous Bee I have taken on a letter to blog about. Bee kindly donated the letter "D" and this post is an homage to all the "D" words that mean or have meant something to me. Here are but a few...

"D" is for Dreams and Daydreaming. Well I guess I've made no secret of the fact that I'm dozy cow who likes to fritter the hours away in the depths of my imagination. Sometimes I'm thinking plotty things - or plotting (as those more adept at our fair language would say) - but, to me, 'plotting' just seems more sinister than the workings of my mind, so I like to think plotty things. Sometimes I engage in pondering. I like thinking about stuff. It doesn't have to be deep and meaningful - I'm quite a fan of the silly and absurd - just whatever pops in the old noggin that takes my fancy. Yes daydreaming is one of my favourite things.

"D" is for Dinner and Dessert. I adore food. Eating is just a miraculously pleasurable thing to do. And I'm not just talking about treats and sweets here, I get as much joy from a plate of stew as I do from the most delectable of oozy chocolatey treats. Flavour is, for me, one of the greatest gifts to humanity. Occasionally in my daydream meanderings I wonder what luxuries I could be comfortable with if I won the lottery or hit the payload with one of my books, and I have decided that I would have a personal chef because even though I adore food and I'm a reasonable cook, I'm not a happy cook. It just feels like work to me. I wish I liked it better but I don't.


"D" is for Doggie. Oh the Pooch! My fourth child. She's curled up at the end of my bed as contented as a doggie can be and I love her to pieces. She's not actually my dog - she belongs to Hubby - but I'm pretty sure she likes me better. I would love to have another. Poor Pooch doesn't like being alone and even though I'm only out for a few hours in the morning I know she hates it (as is evidenced by the ripped up mail I come home to and her new habit of taking anything she can reach off the counter top)! It's lonely and it's boring. However I have to wait till summer when I'm off for 6 weeks so I'm around to settle any new puppy in. I'm very much a dog person. She's like my sidekick. Whatever the weather, however I'm feeling we are out and about everyday. I can't tell you how much getting her for my Hubby has enriched my life.

I pretty sure he feels the same.

"D" is for Differences. I am constantly amazed how we are pressurized, as human beings, to be the same. We are told how to dress, how to act, what we should look for, what we should strive to achieve - even how we should be feeling. From the second we're born we are being taught to conform to a hive mentality. Now in the broader sense this makes sense. As a species, having shared values and social skills has helped us to be very successful. I have no problem with values that promote respect and understanding between people. What I have a problem with is the notion of homogenization. We are, because of the multitude of traditions and cultures, the thousands of languages, the musical variations across the planet, the profusion of beliefs and so much variation of thought, an incredibly diverse and amazing lot. I love that my children are so completely different from one another. Each has their own unique abilities, each learns in a different way and none of them conform to the jelly mould of the perfect child that the school curriculum is designed for. I value every unique hair on their head and I won't force them into a box and label it up as "generic child". I hope that they grow up to value who they are and they don't get caught up in the teen cloning syndrome so many kids fall prey to. And, let's face it, adults too. Vive les differences I say.

"D" is for Daisies. The perfect flower. So simple and yet so incredibly beautiful. I have very fond memories of sitting in the Park back in Limerick in the warm sunshine making daisy chain after daisy chain and how disappointed I felt the days I arrived to find that they'd mowed the grass and there were no daisies left to pick. Since I've grown up I've fallen head over heels in love with the Gerbera Daisy. It's the vibrancy of the colours - they are so uplifting. And I'm not allergic to them. I love lilies too but they play havoc with my nasal passages so I can't have them in the house - but gerberas I adore.

I love daisies so much that when I was pregnant with my daughter I wanted to call her Daisy. I thought it a beautiful name and that it would be perfect for my beautiful daughter but alas my Hubby had quite a different association in his mind.

"You can't call her Daisy," he said, "that's a cow's name!"

That kinda ruined it for me too.


"D" is for Dentists. Just to prove that not all D words are wonderful, I have to include this kiddie. At the age of 8 I had an extraction of a molar where the anaesthetic wasn't given long enough to work and despite my very loud protestations the git took the darn thing out anyway. Unsurprisingly I'm a bit nervous going to them even now - thirty five(ish) years later. You can read about my last visit here but if you're squeemish I really wouldn't recommend it! Unfortunately this reminds me that I have to make another appointment to go.

Shit.

"D" is for Delight. I just love that word. It makes me happy.

"D" is for Darkness. I sometimes find it hard to believe I was so terrified of the dark when I was a child. I love it now. I find night time and the deep blue of the sky so heartwarming these days I'm at a loss to understand how I could've conjured up so many monsters in the dark when I was little. In fact I like the dark so much I only put lights on in the evening time if I'm looking for something or I'm reading, otherwise my house is filled with inky moonlight.

Then of course there's dark chocolate - another great pleasure.....

"D" is for Dad. In gratitude for mine and for my husband who are both pretty darn fab.

"D" is for Daughter. I adore my three children equally so I feel weird singling out my daughter but I couldn't let a meme about D words that are important to me, go by without mentioning my favouritest D word, now can I? My daughter is eleven. She has long beautiful red hair, is tiny, very funny and terribly sweet. I feel utterly blessed to have had her and I hope that as she grows older she continues to come up, throw her arms around me and say, "Huggie!" Always Honey. Always.

The only other thing to say is that this is the 100th post for Whittering On. I've been trying to figure out why I'm not all Woo-Hoo and super-duper excited, running competitions, hosting parties and whatnot but the truth is, it's not my 100th post. I had that last year sometime on my other (now closed to the public) blog and there was fireworks and champagne. Actually this turns out to be my 219th post. So I guess you can see why I haven't got a marching band.

Still 100 posts is something to be proud of so I want to thank you all for being so kind as to pop by for all, most or the occasional few of those 100 and I hope to see around here for the next 100.

You're the best.

Delightful actually.

21 comments:

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

I love your list of D words…

So nice that you Dwelled on the nice ones and not the Depressing ones.

And happy 100th or 219th post! Either way that is awesome. My 100th was a while ago too and I totally missed it… but I plan on making a big ol’ stink when my 200th comes around next month.

Natalie Whipple said...

D list = awesome. What a fun meme thing. I really enjoyed your words. I got all teary over "daughter" since I have one of those too now. She just turned a year a week ago and wow, time flies too fast. She's such a Darling, hehe.

Bee said...

Janey - My eyes are a little damp. You are so dear to me. Is it too dramatic to say that you are the best friend that I've never met? (Happy 100; I'm so glad that I've known you for almost all of them.)

I'm not a bit surprised that you turned D into something utterly delightful. I feel quite chuffed that I thought of D for you, although I'm sure you would have done any letter proud.

fairyhedgehog said...

Happy 219th post! I can't believe that this time last year I didn't know you.

I loved all your D words.

McKoala said...

Loved the last one best! They're 'huggles' in our house.

Sara Raasch said...

Haha, fabulous! Or, er, Delicious? Darling?

lotusgirl said...

Great words! How lovely! So does that put you at 43? How about that you're the same age as me.

writtenwyrdd said...

Delightful post, too. I like this theme.

JaneyV said...

Thanks Kay - I never dwell on the depressing - it's such a Downer. Looking at it - 219 is as good a number as any to celebrate isn't it? I'll be over to raise a toast to your 200th. That's good going!

Thanks Natalie - Daughters are wonderful and that first year milestone is a biggie. It flies past so fast - try to savour all the Huggie moments.


Bee - I love being the best friend you've never met! Peas in a pod we are! I think that you and Vanilla (another very important member of our Nightwear as Daywear Club) would totally hit it off too. You have indeed known me for most of my 100 posts. I'd only just start this one up when you came to visit my bluebells. Thank you for donating D to me - it was a dream letter to work with. You're very kind to say such nice things - I'm not sure what I could have managed with X Y or Z!

Thanks FHH. Isn't it weird how you can feel like someone you've never met is an old friend? I'm just glad that we ran into each other in the big ol' interwebbiness. I hope you're perking up now with the new medication. We've got to have you all better for April!

McK - Huggie! is Daughter's word. It has it's own tone and excitement to it. Huggle sounds more snuggly. I love the huggie-snuggly-huggie way our kids demonstrate their affections. It's the perk of parenthood.

Ooh yes Sara - all of those!

Lois - I'm 42. I turn 43 in November - hence the "ish" after 35 - I was rounding up. I figured we were around the same age when you talked about your 14 year old daughter. I have a son of the same age.

Thanks WW - it's really a meme so if you or anyone else wants to do it - just say so and I'll give you a letter. ;0)

fairyhedgehog said...

I do hope I'm better by April but no sign of it yet.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Wonderfully delightful post on a great letter. I, too, love all my friends I've never met. Such a great group of people!

Robin S. said...

Congrats on #100! You're a fantastic woman, and I'm glad I know you.

Whirlochre said...

In spite of Dennis Hopper, Ds do quite well don't they — and even he's probabbly really called something like Hieronymous.

I'm taken by the Ds of Difference and Daughter, mainly because Son Of Whirl is 11 and at his last parents' evening a week ago, his teacher confessed to being amazed by his ability to 'think outside the box' (as they say).

When we told him this, he pointed to his head and said, 'what box? Huh, teachers are so stupid.'

As for your good self, the reason I visit (albeit late on this one) is that although you do, indeed, whitter on, none of it is D-D-Drivel.

Oh, and look — the word verification: demons...

JaneyV said...

We've still got time FHH - sending you healing thoughts. xxx

Thanks Sarah - I agree, we're so blessed to have come together this way.

Thanks Robin - honey, you know the feeling's mutual.

I love it when there's a serendipitous word verification Whirl! It feels like my blog is magic! Now it's got demons as well. Apparently they're biddable y'know.

Your son sounds like a chip off the old block. It's the kids like ours that make working in a school such fun. Thankfully quite a lot of teachers - the ones who aren't keeping a hipflask handy and staring at the clock till retirement do appreciate these little wonders of ours too. It's the government-imposed curriculum that makes everyone miserable.

And as we're being so doggon lovely, I'd like to soy that my blog is always visibly cheered by a visit from your goodself too. ;0)

Anil P said...

100 is a "D"estination all by itself.

Great "D"s all. I'm thinking of my alphabets now.

Unknown said...

Oh I love you list of D words - but do me a favour, please don't call my very dear friend a dozy cow! I object!

And yes, yes, two dogs - much better than one - they're brilliant company for one another and since Pooch is a girl, you're kinda free to get a boy or a girl - now, what's it going to be and what breed?!

PS, can I have huggies too? :-)

laughingwolf said...

deeeelish, janey ;) lol

JaneyV said...

Destination is a very good "D" word Anil but isn't the journey the best part? ;0)

I got a fright when I read your comment Baninna - I couldn't think who I'd've called a dozy cow. I had to go back and read the post to discover it was me. If that doesn't prove my point I don't know what does!

As for what type of doggie - well I'm a big fan of gundogs but I also like crossbreeds. So let's see a pinch of Springer Spaniel, a good measure of Retriever and a soupcon of collie for the brains. Or maybe we'll go rescue one.
Huggies winging their way to you! xxx (And let's be clear that I don't mean the nappy kind!)

Thank you Wolfie - now wolves - they are the ultimate dawg!

Barrie said...

What a fun post! Although I could've done without dentist. teehee. ;)

cindy said...

wonderful post! celebrate! hope you have a delirious weekend, janey!

Aniket Thakkar said...

Delicious post Janey. :)

The 'Daughter' part was soo touching. I'm sure you'll get 'Huggies' throughout your life. :) :)

And am so disappointed that I've missed over 200 posts of yours till now. But I'll try an make up for the third lot. :)

Keep inspiring. :)