Tuesday, 14 October 2008

As I was saying.....

So this morning I said 1) that it was my first blogiversary and 2) that I had to go to the dentist. The first is still true ; the second is now in the past tense.

I write to you now with a frozen face and minus one very healthy upper right 8 - that is my wisdom tooth. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it and it it really didn't sit well with me that I should pay someone to whip it out. But I am not a dental professional and my hygenist told me that because it was so tightly packed into my jaw, it was impossible to clean around and my gums were suffering because of it. Also its inclusion in my mouth has caused such over-crowding that my front teeth have started to cross (well in the last 10 years it's become more pronounced) and my jaw is out of alignment. So basically there's nothing wrong with my tooth but I'm promised that my mouth will be a prettier place because I've had it removed.

I feel a bit sorry for my tooth. It's sitting in a little white envelope now. It is freaky lookin' though. On the one end it just looks like what was in my mouth BUT THE OTHER END LOOKS LIKE A SHARK'S TOOTH. No kidding it's about 2 cms long and pointy. It's fraggin' enormous. No wonder it took two people to extract it!

I've had past experience of having a molar pulled where the anaesthetic didn't work so I was less than normal serene self when I went in - but, actually, as oral mutilation goes it was really painless. I have an Eastern European Dentist who is very nice but is somewhat limited in her vocabulary. This was the woman who after cleaning my petrified (then) 10-year-olds teeth said

"Now you brush two times ebbery day or I come take all out. OK? Good!"

Honestly I wasn't confident she was even going to give me an anaesthetic. But she did - one on the upper gum (so unpleasant) and another on the roof of my mouth (excruciating). And thankfully they worked well and quickly. She explained that the lower jaw is harder to freeze that the upper. And so it seems to be for me.

The following couple of minutes were just yuck. There was all this scraping and the dental assistant had to hold my head steady while the 6' tall Eastern European Dentist practically climbed into my mouth to get enough leverage to yank the damn thing. They might as well have used a vice. Still she spoke soothingly to me as my head tossed back and forth.

"You do werry well. Das good. Juss one more minute. GOT IT!"

Then before I knew it my mouth was packed with cotton and she was barking a list of instructions while I was handed my coat and ushered out. It took about 5 minutes in all.

"No eat for two hour. No eat anything hot after that or mouth will bleed. No hot drink too. If pain after anaesthetic juss take normal painkiller. You be fine. Any kvestions? No? Byeeeee!"

Then I was handing over my credit card and drooling down my chin.

So here I am - tealess. It's two O'clock in the afternoon and I haven't had anything since breakfast at 7.30 and I can't eat for another hour. I'm bloody starving.

And no tea for the rest of the day. Who'd have thought that going to the dentist could have such unpleasant consequences.

Happy Bloggiversary to me.

16 comments:

Mom In Scrubs said...

Ok, I'm squeaming off my seat. I think I'm experiencing PTSD flashbacks of when had four, count 'em FOUR, wisdom teeth extracted at the same time. Three hours of that. I wish I'd gone to an oral surgeon for the really good drugs. Sigh.

But my dentist didn't have the entertainment value that yours does!! Almost makes up for the no tea thing....

Naaaah!! I s'pose you all don't drink Iced Tea over there, huh?

Here's hoping the rest of your week goes better. What a way to start off a Monday!!

Unknown said...

Happy one year! Wow, we started our blogs at almost the same time:)

Sorry about the tooth though. I am not a fan of dentists. I could barely read some of that story. Makes me shiver.

Sounds like that wisdom tooth had a lot of wisdom in it--2 cms? Whew.

JaneyV said...

Oh Gosh MIS Four is torture. Alas The NHS (National Health System), as fantastic as it is, doesn't spring for the good stuff. No vicodin for me either.

I've decided that I'm having a cuppa in a minute. I'll put lots of milk in - it'll be fine. I'll let you know if I haemorrhage.

Today was quite good compared with other dentist visits and she was very funny. But I gotta tell ya - it's Tuesday now.......Did you sleep through yesterday?


Natalie we're like blog twins! Have no fear the jaw is fine. I'm sure the tenderness will be gone by tomorrow. Sorry for giving you the heebie-jeebies! And yes it was a monster tooth - I only hope it didn't hold all my wisdom in it. EEK!

Kiersten White said...

I'm glad at least the process was painless ; )

Guess you can't have your tea and drink it too...or something along those lines. Happy bloggiversary though!

Aine said...

Hey! HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY, JANEY!!

Not the way I pictured you celebrating though. "...as oral mutilation goes it was really painless..." LOL!

I had my wisdom teeth extracted about 20 years ago. They put me under general anesthesia. I think I'm glad for that!

Hope you're enjoying your cuppa! (Am I allowed to say that in my undignified American accent? LOL) Tea is my comfort food too.

Unknown said...

Owweeeeeeeee, it's paining mommeeeeeeee! Poor Janey!!! My teeth have gone all shivery in fellowship. Well my top ones, anyway, my bottoms wisdom were cut out, yes, m'dear, cut out, a long time ago - it was such a procedure I was given general anaesthetic. Urgh!
But anyway, think of it like this, now you will have a pretty mouth again - not that it didn't look pretty before, as far as I can tell!
Hope you feel better soon.

And hippy, happy, bloggaversary to you! Is there cake and champagne?
xxx

Whirlochre said...

Happy Blogiversary — and I say this with a tear in my eye, having only just recently joined in the fun.

As for UK dentists (the red squirrels of the NHS) — isn't it odd how they all seem to be Polish these days, instead of Australian?

The last English dentist I had was a bloke named Mr Nummy. I can only presume we're currently awash with the Dunin-Brzezinskas (and, latterly, the GoolonWallabyogongs) to minimise any hope we might have of enjoying ourselves.

JaneyV said...

Ah Kiersten I thought long and hard about it and I decided that the no hot drinks embargo was a pile of nonsense and I went ahead and had one anyway. And guess what - no gushing haemorrhage. And the tea was gooood!

Thanks for the good wishes!

Aw thanks Aine. I've had my tea and fell the better for it. I personally feel that the term cuppa is such a friendly one it can be said in any accent and will always be greeted with "Ooh yes please!"

I can't imagine having them all out though. A general anesthesia sounds better but the reality for me is that it makes me incredibly sick. As icky as it was - I just had 5 minutes in the chair and a numb face for a couple of hours. I caved with the tea drought so even that wasn't so painful in the end!

Vanilla Thanks for the well wishes. You'll be pleased to hear I am brilliant at recovering from things. Aside from the giant hole in my gum you'd never know I'd had an extraction today. As for the champoo and cakes I'm all for it - but I think I'll wait for the crater to fill in. It's my birthday in 3 weeks - we'll celebrate then!


Whirl thanks! You feel like an old friend even though we haven't known each other long. I am automatically friends with all those who love Morcombe and Wise and those who freely mock the divas of pop.

I'm not sure if my dentist was Polish. I can't remember her name. I am physically incapable of retaining a name that has no vowels in it. But I'll tell you wherever she trained she was damn good. I just feel lucky that I have an NHS dentist. I've never had an Australian one. My last dentist was an incredibly nice Punjabi gentleman. He was a very gentle man. If all dentists were like him nobody would ever worry.
And before him was the divine Mr Pollard who was an Adonis in white clogs.

All in all I've been pretty lucky with my dentists.

Bee said...

Oh, very happy blog-day to you!

And sorry to hear about that wisdom tooth. Yikes! Your description of that event was almost too well rendered.

liz said...

Glad you had some tea at last! Must have been hell going "cold turkey"!!! I cant imagine the horror!
I agree with Bee....that description made me squirm....glad you are ok though!

Liz xx

JaneyV said...

Bee and Liz sorry if it was a bit graphic - despite being phobic about dentists myself, I forget how squeamish other people are about them. Still you can just be glad it was happening to me and not you.

As for going cold turkey with the tea - I can only be grateful that I'm just addicted to my cuppa. It was crazy hard!

J.C. Montgomery said...

Happy Blogiversary...I would gush more, but, well, uh...eep!

I have had my run ins with dentists and not one pleasant experience in the bunch, so I hope you will forgive me if I just give ya a quick hug before rushing off to go find some raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens, cuz I am feeling like I need a few of my favorite things to make these flashbacks go away...

Cheers to you hon!

Robin B. said...

Whoa - just read this. I think it's time to remember those immortal words of Scarlett O'Hara:(in Southern)---
"Tomorrow is anothah day."

Hope you're feeling OK!

Monnik said...

ouch. hope that mouth feels better soon.

I'm a newbie to your blog. I like what I see!! Mom in scrubs sent me.

JaneyV said...

Hi JCM you are very welcome to the blog. Sorry for dragging the nightmares back. I hope a few of your favourite things worked!

Robin sweetie, glad you came up for air. Hope all the editing is going well. Tomorrow was indeed another day but to paraphrase Miss Scarlett "as God is my witness I will never go tealess again!"

Hello to you Monnik! I do indeed recognise you from the comments section on MIS's blog. You are very welcome here any time! :0)

Barrie said...

Laughing laughing. Not AT you though. WITH you. Very funny post. And I can so relate. I hated having my wisdom teeth out. I got pretty much the same set of arguments you got for having to go through the procedure.