Would you look at that - it's been a whole week since I last posted. A WEEK! It was the back to school/work week though so I've had to adjust back to a schedule. On Monday was my first day back at work. My older children had left for school at 8am and at 8.45 as I was leaving, Hubby was playing on the Wii with Small Son who wasn't due back to school till the following day. Or so I thought. As I was getting into my car I noticed a lot of cars parked at the end of my road with small children in uniforms getting out of them. You have never seen anyone move so fast.
"Quick! Hubby! Small Son has school. You get him dressed! I'll make his lunch."
There was, what amounted to, a mini-tornado in my house as my poor little son was de-jammied, uniformed, toothbrushed, hairbrushed, coated and shoed in the space of about five minutes. He ended up only being a couple of minutes late. I, on the other hand, arrived at my meeting 15 minutes late. Still I felt that it was an achievement and Small Son couldn't have been happier to be back. He adores his school.
**********************
The weather's been unrecognizably arctic for the UK. Personally I've loved its crispness and clarity but even I have to admit that we could have picked a better week to run out of heating oil. Let's just say that sleeping involved wearing lots of fleecy layers. We looked like we were going out instead of going to bed. We realised just before New Year that we were running dangerously low and so have been doing our best to conserve what little we had. But we ran out before the delivery. Almost two weeks after we'd ordered it the oil turned up. We only had a day and a half without heat but man! it was c-c-c-c-c-cold.
**********************
I've been percolating a plan over the week. I'm ruddy sick of my own inaction in the writing department so I've decided to take on Aerin's writing challenge. Check it out. It's designed to get you writing and keep you writing. You only need to do a 1000 words a month and you don't have to publish what you've written if you don't want to but you do have to post that you have met the challenge. Go to Aerin's she explains it all better than I do. Anyhoo to get the ball rolling she said that if you entered Jason's latest contest at Clarity of Night those 250 words could count as your whole January total. That's a 4 for 1 deal. And Jason's contests are great fun. So I've done that. Although this kind of writing is out of my comfort zone (I prefer to write children's/ YA stuff) I did give it a shot because it's good practice. Isn't it?
If you are up to a little challenge then do sign up. If a 1000 words sounds daunting then why not try out this site which the utterly wonderful Fairyhedgehog blogged about recently called onetwofiver. It's designed to get you past the block of being able to put word to paper. To start off all you have to do is write one word. Just one. Then two words. Then five. Then ten. Twenty. Fifty. One hundred. Two hundred. Then finally five hundred. Before you know it you've written 888 words which is practically your In Search of Giants Challenge. Then this website will email your writing to you as one document. I've tried it and it really is helpful.
Aerin is working on a blog for the challenge and it's looking pretty awesome. Oh and I nearly forgot to mention - there are PRIZES! Isn't Aerin just fab for doing that? Now scooch over and check it out and if you can, do join up because, quite frankly, I need the encouragement.
20 comments:
Janey - It's so fun to find a new post, just as it pops up on the dashboard!
I sympathize with your heating problems; goodness, don't you feel sorry for all of those Eastern Europeans who got cut off of their gas supply when Russia pulled the plug. And our cold is nothing compared to their cold.
Well done to you for having a concrete plan for incorporating more writing into your day. It's baby steps for me, but maybe I will get to where you (and friends) are someday. Good luck!
Poor you and poor son! That must have been such a rush.
And then having no heating!!! I don't have enough exclamation marks for that. Not in this ultra-cold weather we've been having. Brr!!!
I think I'll give the challenge a miss this time. I think I need to see writing as more fun than I do at the moment. Maybe I need to do it in secret. Maybe I need to do it at all if I want to get anything written! Good luck with it and I hope you'll let us know how you get on.
And thank you for your kind words. I'm blushing.
Good on ya, love! And you're done for January, with your Clarity of Night entry (which I'm off to read now)
It has been cold, hasn't it?
Technically, my bollocks are supposed to have been frozen off, but in reality, they've kind of been frozen on.
And the compost I got from the garde centre this morning took 20 minutes to rake from the sack.
You gotta love those last minute whirlwind rushes. At least the young son was cooperative and happy to comply.
My challenge is not writing lots of words. It's in cutting about a third of them out. I'm trying to get my YA wip back to YA length.
Goody, goody. I'll see you at Aerin's...as well as on Facebook word games!
LOL Young Son. That could so easily happen to me.
Your post took me back to my childhood days in Toronto with the furnace oil delivery. Here in San Diego, our furnace is hooked up to natural gas. Dejammied?! Love that word!
Hey pumpkin! I passed on an award to you: http://www.insearchofgiants.com/2009/01/prmio-dardos.html
Go Janey go! I'm glad you aren't freezing anymore, and I'm glad you're finding writing motivation ; )
Aw, poor kid! To be fully planning on a day off, only to have to rush to school. He must have been so disappointed.
Also, way to go for getting yourself into a writing groove! That's awesome. I have the motivation, I just need the time! Doesn't everyone, I guess. :)
Hey does writing comments on blogs count as words? Cause then I gots lots of them!
Hey Janey,
Can you pop me an email?
robins-email AT cox.net
Thanks!
I've been kicking the idea around in my head. A 1,000 words - that's easy. Only problem, I have no heroes in my stories, only characters from the darker side.
Oh, I can see the scene, Husband and little guy all set to play and have a big day together, and then...the 5 minute delivery to school! That was such a sweet story!
And ouch with the heating oil thing! It's ice cold here, too, girlfriend, and our house has a boatload of floor to ceilimg windows, and it's cold. Without our fireplace, I'd be beyond miserable in the winter, so I feel for ya!
Aerin is indeed deeply fab! I decided to opt out because my problem is not getting words on paper, it's rewriting existing words - and I'm distracted enough about that as it is. However, I might nip over to Jason's if that contest is still open...
Now, let me go and procrastinate some more in some dark and warm corner.
BTW, I do so not envy your heating problems! Brrrrrr!
The challenge sort of sounds as though it might be useful, no? Thanks for publicising it.
Yeah. We did the no heat thing for 6 days here. Much easier for us to do than it is for you there. But I still bitched about being cold for most of that time. :-)
Glad small son got to go to school earlier than he expected since he likes it so much. And you're such a great mommy to notice that and get him there almost on time.
To everyone that commented I wnat to say a big, big, big, BIG thank you to you all. My next post contains my miserable excuses for not commenting back to you all individually, but I rpomise that i have read you all and appreciate very much that you took the time to visit with me and comment.
You are all wonderful!
Janey! Consider yourself encouraged.
I share your desire to write, and I just spent big bucks (for me, anyway) on a course with a great teacher who is focusing on story structure. It's actually worth the price just to hear this guy make jokes, because he's awesomely funny. But it'd also be worth it just for the kicking-my-ass-into-gear effect of the class assignments.
You said you prefer to write children's/YA. Have you attempted to get published yet? Is that a goal? Sci fi or something else? Is your other blog focused on your writing, or is it just for family and close friends?
Hey FF that course sounds like fun. It makes such a difference to have a really good teacher. I'm attempting to write a YA novel right now, my first. I've written a few shorts and a bit of poetry but nothing that I want to publish. If, when I finish the current WIP, I think it's good enough for submission then I'll go that route. I'm just not there yet. But I know many bloggers who are and I'm learning the ropes from them.
As for the blog, it's about anything on my mind; whether it's writing or funny stuff I heard or ranting on about the weather, it's just a little reflection of me.
Post a Comment