Saturday, 17 January 2009

Excuses! Excuses!

*WARNING: This post contains an unusually high level of whining*


Well look who's reared her ugly mug. It's only me. Have I been lost for a week? Has there been a terrible emergency? Nope. I just needed a break. Sometimes this bloggy life can kind of take over and my reaction is to take a step back and try to redress the balance.

Hubby's been away all week. When he goes on business trips I find I have a bit of trouble getting enough sleep. Normally nothing keeps me from my bed and I sleep deep and long, but when Hubby is away I find it very hard to get enough rest. I guess I feel like I'm on call - 24 hour duty. I sleep so deeply normally, that I get stressed that I won't wake early enough to get everyone up and out in the morning. Big Son and Daughter have to be on a bus at 8am and I have to be back from taking the Pooch out by then. So I find it hard to fall asleep at night and then wake up every hour to check the time. On top of that work's got more intense since returning after the Christmas break. I guess I'm just tired. Really tired. I also buggered up my neck and shoulder over Christmas and I had a bit of trouble typing as my right arm was pretty useless. There were also a shed-load of kids and school-related things I had to do. It was one busy week and I couldn't get my head into the blog thing at all and as each day went by and I got further and further behind, I felt overwhelmed by it all. I know I owe a few emails, I have a g'squillion blogs to catch up on and (last time I checked) 17 comments to answer in my own blog so I'm going to beg a little indulgence and just say that I shall try to get round to them all in the next few days.

I think it's fair to say that this will happen from time to time. I'll overdose on the blogsphere and then I need a bit of a break to dry out. Just think of it as the natural rhythm of things. Hubby came back last night and I had my best night sleep in a week. The rest and painkillers have helped my neck/shoulder problem greatly and for once in my life I'm actually on top of the laundry so hopefully I'll be back on track again soon.

Thanks for being an understanding lot.

26 comments:

J.C. Montgomery said...

We all need some time now and again to reset. And I am very glad to hear you are getting that much needed sleep and that you feel better.

I know what it's like to not sleep well when without the hubby. Mine works evenings. Needless to say, my own sleep patterns are not optimum, so I understand how stressful that was.

Glad to have you back!

Bee said...

Janey, here's the weird thing about blogging: When I don't hear from my real-life good friends for weeks on end I never think anything of it. And yet, when a bloggy friend goes MIA for a mere week, she is missed terribly. (Where's Janey? What's wrong?) It's silly, isn't it?

This is my way of saying that I DID notice, and I did miss you . . . but I thoroughly support and endorse occasional blog time-outs. I know what you mean about the sleep disruptions. I always think that I will get more of the good stuff when my husband goes out of town, but I never do.

(Because of my penchant for pajamas and sleeping as late as possible on weekend mornings, a friend gave me this magnet: "Damn Right I'm Good in Bed! I Can Sleep for Days!"

Robin B. said...

I know what you mean about husband's gone and feeling 'on call'. That's where I am right now, and JB's coming home tomorrow. I expect tomorrow night I'll sleep like nobody's business, just flat out deep. I need it!

So I commisserate my dear.

And as to the consistency of blogging - well, sometimes it just has to ride along with your life's rhythms. In fact, it always has to, and that's the way it should be, in my opinion. No worries!

Sarah Laurenson said...

Rest time is very important. And so is a really good whine. No worries about catching up. You can always pick up from here and move on. What's the point in taking a break if you go back and try to make up for the time lost?

Here's to balance. May we all achieve it - one day.

McKoala said...

I always sleep badly the first night Mr Koala is away. After that I'm so tired I usually sleep fine. A bucket of wine is also helpful, I find. As is the double alarm clock trick, to ensure actually waking up. Although a daughter that rises at six is quite helpful there.

Disappearing blog buddies is always slightly worrying, glad you were just resting, or franticing, and now resting.

And blogs were made for whining, so go for it!

Natalie Whipple said...

I missed you! But I understand that breaks are important. Good the "see" you again.

Whirlochre said...

Sorry to say, but when Girly Of Whirly disappears for a few days, I treat myself to full honours Men Behaving Badly debauchery.

It's true what Bee says about blogger friends, though. Last night, I entertained (in the wine and nibble sense — not juggling) an old friend who I haven't seen for about six months. Of course, we caught up, but the intervening time scale didn't seem to be an issue. As for Janey missing in action, I noticed it straight away, and like an old labrador missing Flossie, the sock-cum-toy it's dribbled on since it was a pup (OK. Bad analogy), I've missed you.

JaneyV said...

How annoying is this? I was half way through answering all these comments - nice thoughtful answers too - when my laptop plug got yanked out accidentally and as my battery is flat, I lost everything. I've got to get up (of course I'm still in bed at 10.30 on a Sunday morning) but I will be back shortly to start over. Honest.

Dave King said...

I've always believed that the odd whine is good for the soul. You're only looking after yours!

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm feeling sorry for you with the neck/shoulder thing. I've been there and it isn't nice.

When my husband is away I'm fine as long as I get to bed and sleep early. If I leave it at all late I lie awake hearing every noise in the house. Although, it's OK if anyone else is in the house too.

Catherine Vibert said...

Hi JaneyV. I really appreciated your comment on my piece at Clarity of Night, and I really enjoyed your piece. (Mine was Son Games Mother, to refresh your memory). I can relate to your needing to take off time from your blog. I do it from time to time, just to see the light of day! It really can eat away time, but it also is often so good to have all these friends right at our fingertips!

JaneyV said...

(Mains plug safely in, no stray husbands, children or animals nearby to knock it out aaaand ) Take two:

JCM You would think that after nearly 17 years together I'd have got this sleep thing straight wouldn't you? My natural inclination is to wake up at around 9am - which is just about too late for everything. This week my daughter brought me tea in bed to wake me up as I'd nodded off after my alarm. I'm so blessed to have an understanding family! Evening shifts are very hard going. I know that we're very adaptive as humans but it's hard to get in a rhythm when your schedules are so out of phase. I sympathise!

Bee That is so true! I have friends - great friends - I don't see for months on end without it registering with me but if a blogger disappears for a few days, I do feel concerned. Perhaps it's because we've all become part of each other's daily routine. Years ago we'd have taken our shopping basket and walked the same route to the local shop, stopping along the way to chat with the same old faces. We'd get to know their routine, what things they like to talk about. We'd know who'd to go to for gossip, who knew what events were coming up, who was best for predicting the weather etc. And of course if on the course of our walk Mrs V from No71 Whittering Terrace wasn't there to shoot the breeze you'd wonder where she was. I guess blogs are just the modern day equivalent of our daily walk to the shops. I'm strangely pleased that you missed me. It's lovely to be part of the daily landscape of others.

Oh and I did laugh at your magnet. I have the same thing on my Pieces of Flair board (it's like a notice board full of buttons) on Facebook. Again it was sent by a friend that knows me oh-so-well!

Robin is there anything as deeply satisfying as the sleep you get once he returns? It's like coming of Defcom 5 and all is well with the world again.
I totally agree with you about riding with life's rhythms. Swimming against the tide is just plain exhausting. Gotta go with the ebb and flow!

Sarah so true! I do have to try and catch up with Jason's contest. I'd left comments on about 60 entries when my shoulder gave out and I feel bad for not getting to the rest. It had about 125 entries in the end. Unbelievable! I don't envy Jason having to wade through them all. I will read a lot of the posts I've missed because I'm nosy though. But you're right; no point in undoing the good of the rest!

McK I'm so glad that my whining doesn't put you off. I won't do it too often though. Sometimes you just need to purge but I find I bore myself rigid if I don't can it quickly!
You've been kicking my ass at Scramble. I'd blame the shoulder but the fact is you're just better than me! Feel free to challenge me at any time. The practice is always welcome.
I have my alarm set plus Daughter's goes off every five minutes till she gets up and still I can fall back asleep in a millisecond. I could try the bucket of wine trick but I fear with my propensity for hangovers it might be counter-productive. If Hubby is gone for more than a week I find I hit a kind of stride till he comes back but it takes a good 6 or 7 days to get there. I like your way better!

Natalie thanks for missing me girl! I'm back now. I loved your high school photo BTW.

Whirl I'm bummed I missed your 100th post contest. It was a hoot. I'm coming up for my 100 on this blog soon, so I may just steal your idea! Or McK's as it was!
I'd love to be present for a Whirly MBB moment. I managed a night out with the local laydees on Thursday which was fun. I haven't had a social life since moving house 15 months ago so I pushed myself out the door even though I was craving and early night. It turned out to be great. I guess making the effort is important too. Thanks for missing me; it's nice to know that I'm a favourite old sock/toy. I consider that a huge compliment.

Dave I think you're on to something there because right now after reading all thes lovely comments I have to say my soul is singing!

JaneyV said...

Ooh Fairy and Catvibe you snuck in while I wasn't looking!

Fairy I fell asleep awkwardly on the couch over the Christmas and on the right side, from the base of my skull, down my neck and into my shoulder, keeps seizing up. Overusing the arm, typing, is one trigger but being tired seems to affect it too. It makes me feel like a creaky old thing!
Re the sleeping thing; I don't worry about not having Hubby in the house as such. It's mainly that I am awful at waking in the morning. I mean really really bad. Hubby is the morning person and we rely on him to get us all up. Being relied on when you know you are the pits is what disturbs my sleep patterns so much. It's like I'm so afraid I won't wake up on time, that I never really go to sleep properly. Am I whining again? I thought I'd stopped that!!!

Catvibe thanks for stopping by. I do indeed remember your entry I thought it was really good and thank you for your lovely comment on mine. Now that I'm all back in the saddle again I have to head over that way and catch up. I know what you mean when you say that sometimes you need to see the light of day. It's all about having balance isn't it? And I do love these wonderful bloggy friends at my fingertips too. ;0)

fairyhedgehog said...

Jane, you don't whine! It would be silly if everyone went around all the time saying that things are peachy when they aren't.

JaneyV said...

You are so right FHH some things are just gorram bad! But today everything is shiny!

Spy Scribbler said...

Janey, my husband left on Dec. 30 for three months. When he's gone, it's difficult to get everything done! I'm exhausted and overwhelmed... and the Christmas decorations are still up!

PJD said...

I feel so guilty being the "gone hubby," but Day Job calls. I know what a drag it is on the one left behind. As soon as breakfast is cleared, it's time to make lunch. As soon as lunch is cleared, it's time to remember that you've nothing for dinner in the house and have to go shopping. By the time they're in bed, there's no energy left for yourself. I get it.

Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

fairyhedgehog said...

I love the Princess Bride. It's one of the few films I liked better than the book.

JaneyV said...

Oh Spy I feel ya Babe! Hubby went to NYC for 5 months when we were first together. It wasn't much fun. The homecoming was wonderful though!!! Don't worry about the decorations. Twinkly lights are essential for Chinese New Year too. Just consider yourself very organised instead. There's always something to celebrate.

Pete while it's no fun being the one carrying the load at home I do realise that Hubby is working and generally he ends up doing horrendously long hours as well. For instance when he did the Olympics he was away for 2 weeks doing 16 hour days without a break. I do love the reunions though and it makes us really appreciate each other. I really so appreciate how he supports the family. Mostly I just miss him.

I'm with Fairy! I love The Princess Bride. It's probably the film I've watched most often. I can't say 'inconceivable' without Wallace Shawn's lisp. It was filmed in Ireland y'know! It's a quotable as Monty Python. In fact I think I may have told one of the kids in school last week that I couldn't use the yellow-handled scissors because (and with apologies to Spaniards everywhere)
"Hi am no leff-handed!"
Yeah he looked ay me as though I was an idiot too!

Bee said...

Your analogy is very clever! Funny how something so ethereal (as to be communicated through an electricity I don't even understand) is also so grounding.

Pajamas! Sleeping in! Cups of tea! I wish we were neighbours. :)

JaneyV said...

Me too Bee. We could be walking buddies too just to prove to the world that, while we appreciate taking things easy, we like a bit of fresh air as well.

Khaled KEM said...

Verrry nice and elegant blog. I like the colors and the way it was all put together.

I, myself suffer from waking up at night few times even being very tired all day long.

lotusgirl said...

I can totally understand stepping back for the breaks. Gotta have them to keep your sanity.

I love the photos by you and your hubby!

Barrie said...

I'm with you on the sleep (or lack thereof) thing. Its effects seep into every aspect of life. Breaks are always good. xo

Renee Collins said...

Oh, I so know what you mean about the blog. We missed you, but no worries. :)

Also, your disclaimer at the top made me smile. Hey, what are blogs for, right?

McKoala said...

OK, so now you can stop whining and start smiling, you big winner, you!

As for Scramble, my secret is that I play live every night for about an hour solid. Yes, it's a serious addiction. More challenges coming up...