McKoala has issued a challenge to keep the writing output levels at a steady and consistent pace. She has kindly referred to it as The Public Humiliation Challenge. The aim is to work on at least 100 words a day, six days a week. This can take the form of writing (blog posts don't count), editing, plotting and planning (as long as it's on paper or screen - thinking about it doesn't cut ice with the Koala) - basically the rules are here. Then you have to post a description of the work carried out and the word count achieved (or revised) either on your own blog or on whatever post is current on McK's. She has lovely badges to reward or punish you for your progress or lack thereof. The wrath of the Koala Claw is to be avoided.
So a minimum of 600 words a week will completely cover my obligation of 1000 words a month in Aerin's Challenge. I'm hoping that after a short while I'll get back into the rhythm of writing again every day.
I'd better get on with it I guess or the cute little marsupial will go all ninja on me.
This is a bit like being back at school again. Who wants to hang out around the bike shed to goss about who fancies whom?
**Late addition**
You can follow my progress at the top right hand corner of my blog. I will update the word count each day giving you the count for that day and the accumulated count.
15 comments:
I'm up for it, as well. I've slacked way too much lately.
Sigh, seems I'm yet again the over achiever in this school...should I line up for my swirly now?
I hope the Koala can keep you in line, Janey. You don't want anything going ninja on you. It's not pretty.
I'm just not the write every day kind of gal. Too much going on. But my scheduling myself does seem to be working out this time around. I think it's because I found out early in that it left me plenty of extra time even in the morning.
*sigh* So maybe I do have time to write every day. And I told Chris I'd take it seriously right alongside her. *sigh* This is good. Right?
The Koala approves. Go get your first badge.
Exercises like this can be really difficult at first, but stick with it!
And beware the deadly drop bear!
Good luck with this! When is your best writing time of the day? (I'm always curious about writer's routines.)
Have you ever noticed how many of the famous and prolific writers claim to have a really workmanlike attitude? "I get up and write 500 words every day."
You're really getting into these writing challenges. I'm not sure if I should stand awed, or be shaking my head at you! ;-)
Good luck with it and have lots of fun with it!
Word veri - pogfuste - yep, that about sums up how I feel!
I think you'll be avoiding the public humiliation. It sounds like you're on your way.
Jill I'm amazed by how easy it was to get going. We put too much pressure on ourselves to write prolifically. Sometimes slow and steady is the way to go.
Natalie I think you are in the honor roll class whereas I'm back with the plodders. I found 1000 words really easy yesterday but I won't be holding that up as the bench mark. A little every day is the goal. That and to avoid the wrath of The Claw!
Sarah glad you've joined up too. I see by your comment trail that you're finding it helpful. Moi Aussi!
McK I heartily thank you for the badge!
Thanks James. I learnt a lot about myself and what I'm capable of from NaNo - I'm definitely a tortoise rather than a hare. I fully intend to slowly plod on. I am finding myself strangely worried about Koalas now though. I used to think they were just cuddly and sleepy - like me!
Bee I expect if I had the discipline to get up early enough in the morning I would find that the most creative time of the day. However it's also the time of the day when my household of five is most manic. It's this hour or two before dinner that I find most productive - simply because it's quietest. If I didn't have a job I'd probably write from 9 - 12 every day.
I have often moaned about my missing Muse but I have come to the conclusion that this is just a convenient excuse to avoid the work of writing. It's marvelous when the words run like a river out of you but sometimes you have to work past a dam or two. Being disciplined is, I think, the only way to do that. I'm very grateful to McKoala for putting me into writer's boot camp!
Vanilla think of it as a writerly fitness campaign and I've just taken up gym membership. I'm doing low impact stuff that focusses on flexibility and core strength.
I do hope your pog unfustes itself soon. Time to move to the slow lane to conserve energy perhaps.
Lotus in the words of Paul Simon
I'm on my way/ don't know where I'm goin'/ but I'm on my way/ takin' my time but I don't know where
There's a Paul Simon lyric for most things in life, I find.
I'll be watching your word count... ;) (I used a counter--the writer was a cartoon potato)--and it really helped.) Hmm....maybe I should do that again?
Great, Janey! You go, girl.
Good for you! I'll be cheering you on for now. Someday I may take up the challenge, but these next 8 weeks of story structure writing class will keep me sufficiently busy.
Oh if only I had the time to do it! Good luck!
Good idea! I'm in. I seriously need to have a daily requirement, because the days I don't write I am so grumpy.
Good luck in your quest, Janey! You can totally do it. :)
You have a koala badge!!
Yay you!!!!
:-)
Sorry I haven't been over here. I'm linking you now on my sidebar so it will be an easy trip.
Post a Comment