Tuesday, 16 December 2008

Unclean! Unclean!

Sorry about the lack of presence internetty-wise. I've been percolating a rather nasty virus. It kind of came to the boil yesterday when I was at work and I felt like my head was being squashed between a bulldozer and wall of granite imbedded with knives and my temperature soared into the 100's. Little Expecto asked me if I was "growing a red face" (don't you just love how children put things?). Luckily I was finished by 12 so I came home, took more drugs and took it easy. I felt almost human again by bed time.

When I woke up this morning a large tone-deaf toad had taken up residence in my throat so I've decided to stay home. Thing is now that I'm quiet and still I don't feel so bad so I'm feeling guilty about staying home, but the second I make any kind of effort I feel like I've been run over by a steamroller.

I have a pile of shopping to do in the next few days before school ends (teacher's gifts and I have to buy a Secret Santa gift from a charity shop) which will involve movement. Am I the only one who regards shopping as a torture? And I can't really justify going to shops (even if it is my idea of hell) and not being at work with 50 loud and hyper children, can I? Urgh! Where's my duvet? I must climb back in.

I'll be flitting about … ish.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, poor lamb, I do so hope you'll soon be much better. Speak nicely to the toad and maybe he'll leave sooner rather than later!

As for shopping - yes, total torture, especially at this time of year! Good luck with it, when you do finely brave the ravening hordes.

JaneyV said...

I wondered what the ravening hordes were on that status update on FB. The voice is less croaky now I've been up a bit although I do have fits of coughing when I use it. Ah well!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Oh I'm so sorry you are sick! Youngest has been sick since Sunday and today she has been vomitting nonstop. I am not happy and hoping to the heavens I don't get sick too!

And I hate shopping so much, I would gladly pay someone to take care of it for me. But I actually can't afford to do that so I guess I have to shop. Crap.

lotusgirl said...

Shopping in the hordes at Christmas is complete torture, and yet that's what my day will be tomorrow. At least I'm not sick! Hope you feel better soon.

I was just popping over from Natalie's blog to have a look see. Nice to meet you.

Barrie said...

Take good care of yourself. And about the shopping, I'm going to get organized next year and get it done early. Not that I haven't said this before...

Do you have hot lemon drinks with aspirin over that? They work wonders for me.

Whirlochre said...

My immediate circle of family, friends, acquiantances, pets and sinister beings has been pretty much levelled by bugs.

Hope you recover in time for the Santa Fest.

JaneyV said...

Ello Poor Youngest! I hope the barfs leave soon and that the rest of the family stay heave-free. A personal Christmas shopper - that's a stroke of genius. If only I was rich enough eh?

Lotus welcome to the blog. Nice to "meet" you. Good luck with the shopping day. I've decided to drag my sorry tush out of bed today and face it too. It's just one great effort right? Then hopefully it'll be over.

Barrie I say the same thing every year but then December sneaks up on me and takes me by surprise - every time! And as for Lemsips - they are what's keeping my head from exploding. Hope that DH and Child #3 are OK now after their ordeal.

Thanks for the well-wishes Whirl. These bugs are doozies aren't they? Do you think it's a sinister plot by the government to sidetrack us so we don't notice how crappy the economy is?

Bee said...

Little daughter had this very same bug . . . and is still afflicted by the croaky throat. I am very sorry to hear that you have been sick, because I know that you don't have the time for that sort of thing!

As for shopping for presents, I can only say that I was in Harrod's yesterday and it was hellish. Good luck on that one! (I don't suppose you would consider making toffee?)

fairyhedgehog said...

That's awful. Do you take echinacea? Sometimes it helps.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dave King said...

Hope the toad moves on soon. Best wishes.

Esther said...

Why don't you do some internet shopping? Hope you feel well soon. We have been healthy this year so far if we can just make it through the festive season...

Robin S. said...

Oh, Janey - feel better!

You know you just have to rest, otherwise, it lingers.

And yeah, I'm right there with you, shopiing stinks, and it stinks even more at the holidays.
That's enough to make you feel even worse - hope you get your shopping finished with a minimum of fuss. And shopping!

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better!!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Wishes for a toad-free holiday coming your way, Janey!

I despise shopping. I especially despise shopping malls. I've done some online shopping this year as I haven't been home much (Dear Lord: Thank you for Amazon.com. Amen.)

Get better!

ps: my word verification is "bogyre"

Eew.

lotusgirl said...

Janey, you'll love this. You know how thrilling I think it is to shop, right? Well, right as I'm driving to the mall/best buy/toys r us area to do the deed I crunch down on a piece of hard candy (that was supposed to be giving me a sugar rush--ha!) and crack! I broke a crown. It was all sharp and narley. Just a little something to add to my joy! Then I got to sit in the dentist chair for a while as they tried to smooth it out to get me through Christmas, and I'm still counting my blessings that I was able to get in at the dentist's and mostly finish my shopping. How was your shopping trip?

James said...

Well at least with the red face you're a nice Christmas color!

Hope you feel better quickly. :)

Jill Wheeler said...

Feel better! :/

Unknown said...

You poor dear! Get better!

Renee Collins said...

Aw man, what a crummy time to be sick. :(

I wish you a burst of strength for the shopping to come. (I actually need one myself.)