Sunday, 28 December 2008

The consequences of indulgence.....

There are a few downsides to the enormous amount of cooking I've been doing over the last few days.

1) The enormous amount of eating I've been doing over the last few days.

2) The enormous girth I'm developing as a result of the enormous amount of food I've cooked then eaten.

3) The fact that my fingers smell of onion and nothing seems to clean it off.

I have come to the conclusion that TV chefs such as Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey and Nigella Lawson must eat nothing that they cook themselves and must stink to high heaven.


I feel a detox coming on.

Later - after I finish everything.

17 comments:

Robin B. said...

Yeah with the detox, girl.

We tried dieting in December - what a hoot. Sure.

But I'm actually looking forward to January 1, for this very reason - all the goodies will (finally) be gone!

Sarah Laurenson said...

Have you tried tomato? Should cut the onion smell.

I love the smell of garlic on my hands personally.

I'm down a pant size since October because I cut out most sugars. Takes a while to lose the weight, but it does come off eventually. And Whole Foods has lovely cookies and muffins from Zen Bakery (which is actually located in L.A.) that only have a handful of ingrediants and are sweetened with pear juice or some such. Helps with sugar cravings. But I totally understand about the relaiotnship between cooking, eating and not being where you want your body to be.

Whirlochre said...

Just lay down on my back and wiggled what used to pass for my 6-pack. It didn't stop wobbling entropically of its own accord for precisely 72 seconds.

Maybe I should employ a cheery dwarf to haul my stomach round the house in advance of my legs so I don't trip over the crates of unopened beer and stilton still to be consumed.

Bee said...

Aren't you supposed to be able to rub lemon over oniony fingers to get the smell out?

As for dieting, I'd like to think that I will be starting some of that soon . . . but as I catch up with my blogs I'm seeing so many good things that I still want to try! Personally, I've always thought that January is way too cold for detoxing. Gradual re-entry, my friend.

Overfeasting aside, I hope you had a great Christmas!

Kiersten White said...

Ugh, I'm very much looking forward to less food.

Also, Whirl used to have a six pack??

JaneyV said...

Perhaps there's a reason for all this pig-outery Robin - its function is to get is in the right frame of mind for a new year so we can make the changes needed. I could never have contemplated a diet in December but now I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Sarah It's finally started to fade but I'll keep tomato in mind for next time, thank you. I love both garlic and onions. I love the smell of them cooking and eating them. The problem seems to be the way I process them once ingested. I seem to sweat their oils. I suppose the answer is to eat them all the time so I just don't notice it. After all the are wonderful for the heart [even if they are terrible for the greenhouse gases situation!!!]

Kudos on the weight loss. I know that sugars are the key. I've tried low GI food before and it worked a treat. Then I got complacent and it all went to pot. Oh and the Zen Bakery and Whole Foods sound heavenly. If only the weren't 5,000 miles away. Do they deliver?

Whirl one of the laws of thermodynamics [possibly the 3rd] states that the entropy of the universe is increasing. One only has to witness my digestive system at this time of year for full proof. I may submit a recording to the Royal Society to see what they think.

You still have unopened beer in your house???

We are stocked to the gills with cheese still. It's somewhat of a tradition with Hubby and I that we see the New Year in with cheese, biscuits and wine whilst watching the Hootenanny. This year we're having some family to stay for a change. I hope they like Jools Holland!
And I find myself asking the same question as Kiersten - six pack?? What a lovely thought!

Bee Lemons sound good too. I will store that tip for next time along with tomatoes. I know what you mean about January being too cold for diets but I find that frame of mind is the make or break thing with a diet. And I think I'm ready for a change in that department. How much of a change, though, is anybody's guess.

Me too Kiersten, me too. And as for Whirl with a six-pack…intriguing…

McKoala said...

Backing up the lemon tip.

Backing up the six pack scepticism.

Mom In Scrubs said...

Salt - wash with soap and salt. Works for me.

Just make sure you didn't incur any little cuts...y'eowch!

Trying to shake my gluttony-induced hangover myself. Blech!

JaneyV said...

Thanks McK and MIS - Lemons and salt it is but I'll be checking for paper-cuts and gaping wounds first.

Renee Collins said...

lol, I know exactly what you mean. My mother in-law is a big Christmastime baker. I have consumed more sweets in two weeks than I did in a year in Ohio.

I'll join you in that detox. :)

JaneyV said...

Deal Renee detox here we come!

Unknown said...

Oh I love the food network channel! :) and yes Nigella Lawson does eat all her own cooking lol but not sure about the others

Barrie said...

"Later-after I finish everything." Ha!!!

Re the onion on the fingers--I always disposable plastic gloves.

Unknown said...

Well, I can't help much with the eating. My suggestion for the girth is to cut out all sugars. And my suggestion for smelly fingers is stainless steel - it works like a charm. Just run your fingers over the taps (or a key, a pot, a fork or anything stainless steel) and voila, the smell will be gone.

Aine said...

Gotta chime in with the garlic tips. I heard this several years ago and thought it was a load of bunk... but it works! And it's simple, too.

Rub your hands on something made of stainless steel. My sink's faucet is stainless, so I just caress it (ha!) after chopping onion or garlic. Works every time!

Bee said...

Janey - I'm wearing a nightgown that has a distinct whiff of bacon about it . . . good or bad thing, you decide. I've just remembered that I was wearing it on New Year's morning . . . when I fried up four packages of the stuff for the ravening hordes!

I find that overeating is usually self-correcting. It helps me to "go off" food for a while . . . or at least to crave healthier foods.

JaneyV said...

Sabrae Happy new Year to you and your wife. I love those cookery programs too but I have to admit to being more interested in the kitchens and the accessories than the food (which are normally way beyond my simple abilities).

Oh Barrie tut!tut! with the disposable plastic gloves. They'll just end up in the Pacific you know ;0)
Anyway with all the tips we've had we now know to soak our fingers in lemon juice and tomato before rubbing them on the taps. I LOVE the internet don't you?!

Vanilla I do know that sugar is the root of all evil believe me and I do believe I'm ready for the low GI diet again. It worked brilliantly for me in the past. I felt brilliant, lost loads of weight and then ... got complacent. One thing I have learnt though is that I have to follow the natural rhythms of my body when dieting. Pick the wrong week to begin and it's failed before it starts. I need the right food at the right time to support my endocrine system and thereby stave off cravings and mood-swings. God knows I could write a book about it.
As for the stainless steel thing, my MIL told me about that too. She swears by it. I'll definitely try it out. It's a little less risky than lemon juice with these raggy old fingers of mine.

Aine it does sound like bunk but obviously some compound in the onion/garlic likes the metal. So it's science!

Bee I think the smell of bacon is one f the most gorgeous food smells there is. Years ago I worked in a restaurant attached to a gym. We sold the most unhealthy food (and by that I mean tasty but trashy). Every morning the clients would come in and studiously ignore me. However as soon as I cooked some bacon, BAM! I was over-run by requests for BLT's. So bacon smell=gooood!

I agree with you about balance restoring itself. It happens everywhere; nature, appetite - even the financial world is not immune.