Sunday, 21 December 2008

In Which The Nativity Was A Bit Dull…

Scary afternnoon there when Blogger told me I didn't exist and I couldn't comment on my own blog. Eeek!

Hi y'all! 'Smee! I'm all better (more or less) and raring to go. This week was a big washout all-wise; workwise, blogwise, Christmas preparationwise - every which wise. So sorry that I haven't been around to see you guys. I still have to listen to all the smutty talk via Robin's blog. I'm sorry but I can't carry off "sexy" - not even anonymously! Even if the toad took a break from croaking loudly, I fear my deep scarlet blushing would interfere with the audio signal. I'm looking forward to hearing all yours though. I'm glad that everyone else doesn't suffer from such shocking chickenitis.

Anyhoo I just want to share a little Christmas tale.

Small Son and his school recently gave a carol concert on the local C of E Church. It was a lovely service and the kids all sang like little angels. Small Son is only 5 and I watched with pride and joy as he sang out and boogied on down to the story of the Nativity. The thing about teaching little 4 and 5-year-olds loads of Carols and hymns and whatnot is that they have a bit of trouble retaining all the words. Let's face it, the archaic nature of most religious music isn't exactly something the children identify with but bless them they sang out loudly even if they hadn't a clue what they were singing. How little of a clue that Small Son actually had was brought home to us last night as we were having dinner and the Little One lauched into a Carol.

"Ding Dong mellily in eye
Nevin bells are ringing
Ding dong mellily a pie
La-la-la-la-la singing"


We were all in stitches at these mislearnt lyrics but nothing prepared us for the chorus...

"BO-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-ORING
ZANNAH IS A CHELSIS
"

I'm still giggling even now that he sang "Boring" so loudly and with such enthusiasm to the entire village.

15 comments:

Whirlochre said...

This sounds like fun. My favourite thing about choruses full of 4-5 year-olds is that there are always one or two kids who look absolutely petrified, glaring into space like thee're desperately trying to flex their eyelid muscles to stop their eyes popping from their sockets with fear.

JaneyV said...

Whirl When Big Son was a sheep in his first Nativity, his mask fell over his face, blinding him and he walked off the alter in the wrong direction before crashing into a pillar. Best Christmas entertainment ever

Anonymous said...

LOVE it. I would far prefer they take creative license with the words than just get frozen and not sing (which is what the kids in my pageant did). Also love the story about Big Son!

Dave King said...

Blogger has never actually told me that I don't exist, but it has reused to let me comment on my own blog a couple of times. Very unreasonable!

Kiersten White said...

Boooooooooooooring! indeed! We missed you ; )

JaneyV said...

Aerin I think it's all the bloops and blunders in a kids production that makes them so wonderful. Give me that over stage-school kids any day!

Dave totally unreasonable. I can only assume they were messing around with upgrades at the time!

Kiersten Missed you too!

PJD said...

hee hee hee ha ha >snort<.

Wish you were able to youtube it. Both of them.

Mom In Scrubs said...

I'll never be able to listen to "Angels We Have Heard On High" the same way again!!

Thanks for the giggle - glad you're on the mend!

Unknown said...

What? Are you telling me those aren't the real words? Nah, I don't believe you, I've been singing it like that for years. Go Small Son, says I, it's all about the tune, never mind the words!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Very cute! And I am so glad you are all better!

Merry Christmas to you and the family! Have a wonderful holiday and see you in the new year!

Best,

E

Sarah Laurenson said...

Love the lyrics. You've got a fine songwriter on your hands there.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Barrie said...

Ha, ha! I love massacred lyrics! I can still remember what I used to do God Save the Queen!

Unknown said...

Skipping through the blogosphere to wish you a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the festive season! xxx

Robin B. said...

Oh, this was so much fun to read!

Little precious boy - I love these lyrics!

Sounds like you all had a wonderful Christmas!

Bee said...

Having LAUGHED OUT LOUD at your son's take on the Xmas lyrics, I am wondering: Do these lyrics have any meaning for him, or is he just making nonsense sounds?