(l-r: Jan, Robin, Gina, Neil, me, Sylvia)So who was there? Well me (obviously), FairyHedgehog (Gina) and her wonderful husband Neil, Robin and her very lovely sister-in-law Jan, pjd (Peter) and Sylvia. We had such a good time. I was an honorary minion for the day.
Because I didn't have anybody to organise but myself, I was, for once, early. But not the earliest. FHH and Neil were there already and had bagsied a table for us indoors. It's funny, I was worried that I wouldn't recognize anyone but as soon as I spotted Gina I knew her immediately. We said many times over the afternoon how it felt like a reunion rather than a first meeting and so it was from the beginning. The first thing I did (after the intros) was order a bowl of spicy wedges because I was starving. Then I proceeded to choke on one. As I mentioned to Gina, this happens a lot to me. I have no idea why but I imagine it has something to do with talking and eating simultaneously and their basic incompatibility. As we got to know each other (and I downed a glass of water while Gina was probably wondering if the Heimlich Manoeuvre was going to be necessary) we learned that Robin and Jan had arrived and nabbed a table outside. It was such a lovely day that we moved lock stock outside and as we approached the table Robin yelled "Pete!" (and I wasn't even wearing a hat) because Peter had arrived too.
Then the talking started.
(l-r: me, Peter, Sylvia) "What's do you call like - whatsit- a sortof river that runs in an ocean?" Oh yes! - I was THAT eloquent.Sylvia arrived soon after and then we ordered and the wine started flowing. And the talking continued and the wine continued to flow and flow. Gina and Neil had to leave mid afternoon but the rest of us stayed til 6ish. So much wine. We had a rather dishy waiter who looked after us with great humour and didn't object once to being objectified. Bless him. (That may have been just me though). Peter showed us the correct way to get the attention of waiting staff. You make eye contact and raise your right finger in the air (like ET). We found that this method was most effective when Peter was sitting beside you doing it at the same time.
(Robin: "Just let me put on my sunglasses so people will recognise me.")Honestly I haven't a clue what we were taking about but we talked a lot. I can't tell you how much fun I had. We remembered all our absent friends. (There were hugs Aerin). There was even talk about possibly doing the same thing Stateside next year. San Francisco was mentioned (and Vegas!). How cool would that be?
My attempts at working out the bill were laughable. The phrase "That can't be right - can it?" was said a lot. In the end I'm 100% certain of only one thing. I owe Gina and Neil lunch and when we all meet again the first bottle of wine is on me. (OK that's two things!)
(The numbers were swimming I tell you - and speaking a foreign language).
I managed to totter back to Hubby and the kids without too much difficulty. I had a cracking headache afterwards but that's what analgesics are for by golly!
Can't wait for next time!
In the fog of all that was said on Sunday I'm pretty sure everyone said they didn't mind having their photo posted. If however you find that you'd rather not feature here then let me know and I'll take it down forthwith.
The top two pics are courtesy of Gina and the one of Robin was taken using Hubby's phone which I had great intellectual difficulty with. Wine and technology - not a good mix!
22 comments:
I wish I'd waited to post after you because you've managed to catch the feel if it so well. I think I needed a couple more days recovery time before posting, apart from anything else!
I love the picture of you trying to work out the English for ocean currents.
You do realise that overestimating our share of the bill was just a cunning plan to make sure that we have to meet up again?
Awe, fun! So jealous of your London adventure :)
COOL! I'm kinda jealous, but I love getting the virtual version:) It's so fun to meet online friends. It really is more like a reunion.
JANEY your hair is longer than I thought but the hugs are good good good....Gina posted the same pic of Robin only without glasses, and the glasses definitely help me recognize her (I'm sure the same thing would be true of Abs. Vanilla)....how the heck did you all come 'round to talking about ocean currents...San Francisco gets my vote for next year!!! but don't rule out Denver :D And YAY for pics!!
Looks like great fun and the sun couldn't have been better timed.
It's wonderful hearing about this! Er, reading, actually. Well, whatever!
How fun!! Looks like a total blast! I imagine a lot of laughing and joking. :)
Yay for meeting online buddies!
That's cool Jane
Ha! Your narrative is a scream, girl!
We HAVE to do this again. We really have to, don't ya know.
Cool, I've yet to meet a single blogging buddy face to face.
That looks like such a great time. The online blog friends that I've actually met do seem to be like old friends. I think we share so much of ourselves as we write that we do know each other pretty well. In some ways better than acquaintances that we see often, but don't talk deeply with.
Oh FHH I was in no position to write a post on Monday. I'm afraid it takes me a full day to get over drinking so much. I normally only have a glass or two. I often wonder if I shouldn't give up altogether.
Ocean currents! I would have remembered it eventually - probably after I'd got home.
I am definitely available for lunch. Your cunning plan worked beautifully.
Sara - It was a great laugh.
Glad to share it Natalie. It did feel like a meeting of old friends.
My hair is driving me crazy, it's so long Aerin. Got to get it chopped! As for ocean currents - I believe I was in teacher mode, explaining why it is that San Francisco is so foggy.
It'd be wonderful to meet up next year. I'm going to take up chanting and visualisation techniques to make it happen (and to win the lottery).
Whirl - I ordered the sun specially for the occasion. We missed you there.
Freddie - maybe at the next one you'll be able to hear it first hand (does that make sense?)
Renee - great fun was had by all.
It was way cool T.
Well we had a scream, didn't we Robin? And you are right - we HAVE to do it again. I believe it should be law...
Travis - welcome to the blog. It was a great experience. I heartily recommend it.
Lois - I agree with you. And also I think that we are drawn to people we have a lot in common with too. This world wise interwebbiness can be quite a marvelous thing.
Oh, how fun. Natalie and I are looking forward to the day when we can meet you for lunch, too ; )
Janey! So you do London visits?!
I want to be in on the next one, PLEASE!
(btw, didn't you cut your hair short? does your hair grow really, really fast?)
I've been on hiatus myself, for ages really, but I'm looking forward to being back in touch. xx
And, ultimately, your narrative is the reason I did not post my narrative. Yours is so much more eloquent. Possibly because it does not deal with ocean currents, and you are so used to talking with four-year-olds that we are the perfect audience.
And hats off to Jan, who was the model of composure and patience the entire time. I hope she had as good a time listening to us get drunker and drunker as we had getting drunker and drunker. (Jane, to answer your FB question, I was not hung over the next day. I think I drank about three gallons of water that evening, which helped.)
Kiersten - one day! I'm thinking that the travel bug is going to get me soon. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it coincides with a huge windfall into my bank balance!
Bee! - you're back from your travels. I've missed you. And yes I'm available for London visits (although my liver would like me to have a teensy break before the next one). I'd totally pop in to meet you.
As for the hair (or haystack as I frequently call it) - yes it grows like a weed. I have to do my roots every three weeks. Night. Mare. I had it shorn pretty short last July and it's fairly long now. But I'm feeling the need to crop it again. Particularly since the sun's come out!
Peter - I would have loved to read your take on the day. I think Jan was a trooper. It was lovely to meet her. As for the headache - well I drank a bottle of water on the train back to my MIL's but it had developed good and proper by the time I got there. The good thing was that the hangover was pretty much done and dusted by bedtime. I think the secret for me is to drink lots and lots of water at the same time as the wine.
It sounds like a fabby time was had by all - here's hoping the writers get together is every bit as good!
And you can tot up the bill after, okay ;-)
As for the next meeting, I think you should all come here while there is still a here to come to - just think, you could take in the World Cup at the same time.
And Aerin, I promise I'll wear my sunglasses, wherever we meet!
Aw. What a great wrap up - and pics.
Sorry we missed out on the fun. Next time!
Got here by way of Pete's blog. I've been hearing so much about the meetup, now all I want to do is live it vicariously through you guys! Thanks for the peek!
On to FHH's post now...
I love your write-up, you've really captured the essence. It was such a good time (although I don't even want to TALK about my hangover the next day - ugh!) and I'm so glad we got together.
Awwww man that sounded like good times!!! Now when are you coming stateside? hmmmmm?
How jealous am I. That just looks wonderful! On to the next version...
Post a Comment