Monday, 20 October 2008

A Morning Visit To The Movies.

Today I got paid to go see a movie. It was Happy Feet. It was free. The catch was I had to go with sixteen four-year-olds, most of whom had never been to a cinema. And only two or three had seen the film before.

Now I don't know how many of you have seen Happy Feet. It has amazing animated sequences, brilliant music, fantastically choreographed dances and a stirring environmental message. Oh yeah - and it's really scary in parts. Big, huge, teeth-coming-to-gobble-you-up scary.

Perfect for a 4 year old's first trip to the movies.

The lights went down, the crimson curtains opened and a little boy (let's just call him Expecto) stood up and yelled at the top of his noggin,

"Mrs. V I'm really scared!"

Only 2 more hours to go!

I called Expecto over and he sat on my knee for the rest of the film. I whispered reassurances in his ear, preempting what was about to happen and helping him understand what was going on. To be honest with you - it's not really a kids film, in my opinion. He, however, wasn't easily calmed down and he proceeded to shout questions in my ear the entire film. The thing is he kinda sprayed every time he opened his gob. I had to take my specs off several times to wipe them down. On top of that he had a cold. Not the streamy kind - the thick, gooey, block-your-nose-up kind so that when he wasn't spraying , he was sniffing.

Actually it was more like snorting. It was deeply unpleasant. But I'm a professional and poor Expecto was nervous.

By the end of the movie I wasn't sure if he'd taken in any of what had gone on. All I was sure of was that I needed to go home and disinfect my face and my right ear. Then the lights went up and we set off two by two to the designated parental meeting point. Expecto walked in front of me chatting to his best mate, Nutty.

"Did you like that movie?" asked Nutty.

"Ye-ah! I thought it was brilliant!" said Expecto, his spittle dissolving into the gentle Autumn drizzle as we marched on.

My job is sometimes damp but it's never dull.

14 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

Oh, lovely. It reminds me of how my little boy will come up and wipe his nose on my shirt...

Cracks me up that a 4 yr old says "brilliant" over there. How cute.

JaneyV said...

Oh Natalie I am so regularly used as a tissue. I guess it's just part of being a mother - getting used to suspicious slimy stains. Our job as parents can sometimes be quite gross can't it?

Renee Collins said...

lol, this sounds so familiar. Of course, I've never had to manage it with sixteen four year olds. I am in awe of you, Janeyv. :)

My four year old daughter is very sensitive to scary parts in movies. If the main characters are threatened with the slightest amount of peril, she will scream and bury her head into me. It's why we rarely go to the movies in the theater.

Whirlochre said...

I hear there are plenty of opportunities for post-mucoid slime beasts in Hollywood — particularly as they're doing a remake of The Blob.

Unknown said...

You're a trooper, Janey, boldly going where no sane person has gone before! ;-) You'd have no problem with the slimey sort of outta space monsters, would you. All you'd need is a brolly to poke 'em with!

Kiersten White said...

I agree--Happy Feet was WEIRD and not a good movie for young children.

lol, you poor dear...

Bee said...

Having big kids now, I forget just how "snotty" little ones can be. Imagine: one's first movie! I can't even remember mine; can you?

Anonymous said...

I agree. Happy Feet was brilliantly done. :)

Aine said...

Damp but never dull... LOL!

Providing that one-on-one guidance throughout such a movie is so important. It's like role modeling-- you're teaching them how to make sense of someone else's story. I bet Expecto learned more than he realized...

Too bad you couldn't cast a quiet "expecto mucosum" when no one was looking....
:)

JaneyV said...

Renee Big son's for trip to the movies was to see Hercules. He was about two and a half. When the lights went down and the rumble of the Dolby Surround Sound started he sat up straight, his eyes widened and his jaw dropped. He was totally enraptured. It was like an exciting fairground ride for him. The other two started going as babies. I do tend to pick my movies carefully though. If I was worried at all about them being scared I saved that movie for DVD and talked them through it first time around. The lovely thing about Disney movies is that although they do have elements of danger and scariness - they are mediated by humour to balance it.

Whirl Maybe I should get an agent. "Slime-monster available - make up not required"

AV Im putting an umbrella on my Christmas list!

Kiersten Agreed - a great movie but really not for little ones! I don't mind the slime really. It's a privilege to be part of a child's first adventure. Although a Mary Poppins umbrella would be a good investment.

Bee - they are soooo snotty. And yes I do remember vividly my first trip to the cinema. I must've been about four, it was a beautiful summer's day and I went to see Disney's Snow White. It was the first film I ever saw in colour and it scared the bejeepers out of me. Needless to say I loved it.

Jason The little Mexican penguins were a hoot! and I loved the music but that leopard seal - not for four-year-olds without their Mummies I think.

Aine LOL! Expecto Mucosum - if only eh? I agree that explaining it all as it happens is key for younger children. It helps contextualize everything and explain any new and potentially scary concepts. And as I mentioned Expecto really did have a good time for a finish.

Expecto mucosum HA!

Robin B. said...

I agree- I didn't see this movie, but I saw previews- I think it was too much for little kids to take in.

But how sweet for the little guy, who was all nervous, to stay glued to you all the way through, germ warfare wetness notwithstanding, and then say he thought the movie was brilliant.

Elizabeth said...

Excellent account of your visit to the dentist!
Always a little alarming.
I manage to have discovered one who still gives gas - so it's almost fun.
Hm......
The outing with children rings a bell!

Barrie said...

How wonderful that Epecto had you to guide him through moviedom. I'm still giggling at the last line of your post: "My job is sometimes damp, but it's never dull." Ha!

McKoala said...

Nice. Janey's going to get sick now...

There was a little boy behind us on the plane who coughed so hard he threw up. McK's going to get sick now...