Apologies if this is all over the place but my brain's a bit addled and I'm not sure if I'm capable of proper "joined-up" thinking right now. My nose is running like a leaky tap (that's what we call a faucet) at the moment. It is the time of year for my hayfever to hit me like an itchy sledgehammer but I seem to be missing the irritation factor. No streaming eyes, no impulse to gouge them out with my nails - I haven't even felt the need to scratch my face till it's raw. I'm fast coming to the conclusion I might have a cold. I didn't even get a cold this winter. WTF??? I find myself hoping for that tingling feeling around my mouth and nose because then I could just take an antihistamine and get some relief. Instead I'm just sneezing and sniffing. Poor me!
On top of that my Hubby is in China for two weeks working on an international event that's taking place there this summer about which I know absolutely NOTHING - because that's what confidentiality agreements mean. Don't tell your wife anything about what we're doing because she'll put it in her blog and spoil the surprise. Keeping secrets is not something I enjoy. Mostly because when I hear them I'm at a loss to understand why they are, in fact, secrets at all. And the big doozy ones that have to be kept secret because they're - like, awful - bring about a soul-sickness in me so, unless I can actually help the situation, I'd rather not know those at all. So T went off to Beijing to do something very secret, technical and eventy. And that's all I know.
I miss him.
Then this morning at 4.55am I hugged my daughter as she left on a school trip to France. Aside from the odd sleepover this is the first time she's stayed away from home. She's not even 11 yet. I admit it - I cried. Then I went back to bed, slept trough my alarm which meant Child #1 (who could sleep through a bombing campaign) wasn't woken till 7.40 and he gets his bus at 8. He made it though! At least he didn't come home looking for a lift so I assume he did!! I was all sweaty when I woke up which further lends evidence to the cold theory. Either that or I was just too hot!
But with Big Son gone I had no one to watch Small Son so he had to walk to dog with me. He kept chasing the balls I threw for the doggie!
"No!No! Small Son! The object is to wear the doggie out - not you!"
By the time I got him to Preschool, I realised that his shoes and socks were soaked through. Fortunately, under the advice of the new Leader I had brought in some slippers for him. Unfortunately, this is when I realised that his feet had grown a LOT since he last wore them. I still forced them on him though. They're soft! And I'm sure that the little flashing lights on Thomas The Tank Engine will distract from the discomfort. Possibly.
************************************************************************
I took a break there - I bet you didn't even notice - to take the doggie out for her big walk and to collect Small Son from Preschool. I brought him some dry socks to put on. His poor feet were so horribly sweaty when I took his slippers off he turned to me and said,
"Oh fankoo Mama! These socks feel lovely!" Poor. Poor. Baby!
The walk was good although I do feel like going to bed now. After all the rain last night, the evaporation that was taking place did make it feel a bit like walking the Pooch in a sauna. It also caused a bit of itching in the facial region and a slight increase in the sneezing. I have come to an ugly conclusion.
I have a cold .... and hayfever.
Shit.
Because it's sneezing, Chinese, short and funny!
13 comments:
Oh that video made me crack up! So cute! I cannot wait to show the kids when they get home!
Poor Janey! I was suffering ever so badly from allergies earlier. I have the earlier pollen related allergies that really just about put me under but now I am fine! But hubby is suffering. I will be good until the fall when I suffer again. I hate the leaky nose syndrome. Drives me so wild sometimes I stick tissue paper up my nose and look like a total freak. You hang in there and start a scrabble game with me!
Sorry to hear you're feeling dodgy.
I hear you on feeling dodgy when kids stay away. Count yourself lucky that your daughter's 11, Rory has an overnight stay with his school trip this year and he is only six - my stomach is churning already.
what am I saying - he's not six till August aargh!
Sorry you're sick Janey.
I hope you're enjoying a cup of hot tea and feeling better.
Janey Baney Waney Head!
What Irish fairies cast this wicked spell on you?!
Wishing you healing thoughts and warm toddies - the good kind with butter rum!
Love and hugs!
Thanks for all the well-wishes guys I'm feeling much better today :0) xxxx
Ello - I know! When the baby sneezes and for a small second Mom actually stops chewing in surprise - cracks me up! As for the tissue up your nose - DONE THAT! Sometimes it's the only thing you can do! My Hubby has to do it so he can mow the lawn. Yes for many a year June evenings have been spent with me lying in bed with a cold face cloth over my eyes and two wads of tissue up my nose, breathing through my mouth. I don't really count June as a month of much passion!
I'm up for scrabble ANY time - just start up a game with me in it - whenever!
Sher- The thing is we're so used to being in touch at all times but then they go off and nobody calls you to say they got there OK or that they're eating well (HA!) and not miserable. I feel like I'm on hold! Oh I feel for you with Rory's trip - you are a braver woman than me! Honestly I could not let Small Son go away overnight aged 5 or 6 - I'm even freaking out about him going to school full time in September! God I'm such a Wuss! He is my baby though - I'm allowed!
Jason - I'm feeling grand today. I did just that - I went to bed yesterday afternoon, drank loads of tea and sweated it out. It worked a treat!
Aeriny Baeriny Waeriny! Those Irish Fairies are well know for being the kicking you when you're down types. Never trust a guy in green with a stupid orange beard and pipe - dressing like that is bound to put you in a foul mood!
I don't know what a warm toddie with butter rum is but it sounds fantastic. I want one! Can I still have one even though I'm much better?
I'm in the same boat. Glad you're feeling better.
Oh MM - great to hear from you and I hope the sneezies ease up!
It seems I never get a cold in winter, they always wait till spring or even summer to sneak up on me!
Funny thing, our cars are literally COATED with pollen this year, and neither hubby nor I have our usual spring allergy symptoms? Wonder if it's all the rain we've been getting.
Glad you're feeling better, and I know what you mean about the sock thing. Kids are so forgiving and sweet.
Blesh'u, dear! Oh that baby panda was priceless!
And you poor ickle sickle thing, a cold and hayfever - it's time to blow your head right off!
Take care, look after yourself, feel sorry for yourself (I find self pity can work wonders), and be better soon.
Hugs.
Hi MIS - yes the rain definitely helps while it's raining but it also knocks the pollen out of the plants. Then when it starts to evaporate the pollen is pulled upwards into the air by the water vapour - right up your nose. The thing is you might only be allergic to one or two of the thousands of pollens that abound.
Your right about kids - they can be sooo sweet.
Vanilla! Thank you m'love! I'm all better and I gave myself so much pity I'm totally sick of myself! Although blowing my head off does sound like a welcome relief sometimes!!! LOL ;0)
Not really capable of "joined up" thinking myself tonight after several late nights and an all-day party today . . .
recognized the husband's work "secrecy" issue (why? like who am I going to tell?)
and empathized with oversleeping and feeling rough.
Hope you are better now!
Very funny post. Hope you're feeling better. Hope Small Son isn't crippled. Wishing Daughter Les bon temps in la France. And may other son wake up on time from this point on. And may hubby come home early and secret-free. :)
Post a Comment