I normally check into Facebook in the mornings when I'm sitting up in bed having the cup of tea that Hubby has lovingly made for me (yes - everyday - tea brought to me in bed! I know - I'm lucky!) and this morning my friend Maureen posted a response to something that was happening in Florida regarding one of her novels. I should come clean now and mention that my friend Maureen is none other than Maureen Johnson and in case I might give you the impression that I actually know her or have in fact ever met her in person I should (for clarity's sake) also mention that she has 2,734 (at the time of posting) other friends like me ... on Facebook. Maureen made a video to respond to a Fox News report on a mother and her friend who were trying to get two YA novels (one of which was by Maureen Johnson) moved from the YA section to the Adult section in public libraries because they did not approve of the content. Do have a look at it - it's fairly self explanatory. (Note: if you click on the video so that it actually plays on the You Tube website, Maureen has kindly linked to the news reports and the passages spoken about in them in the sidebar next to the video).
I don't know how you feel about the subject of book banning but personally it appalls me. On many many levels. Now those of you who have watched carefully may now be shouting "but the woman did not ask for the book to be banned!" and this is true - what she asked for was for it to be moved to a section in the library where her daughter could not access it. She is effectively asking the library to censor the content and to act as babysitter for her child.
I have no doubt that the woman in question did not feel that the books her daughter "randomly" chose were appropriate for her daughter. I think she was genuinely shocked at the content of these books. This is her right. It is totally up to her how she choses to bring up her children. However that does not give her the right to censor the reading of other people's children. The thrust of her argument is that the more adult content is not appropriate for younger readers. A twelve year old is far too young for some of the themes, concepts and even more explicit (but y'know - mentioning sex does NOT make it porn Lady) content of these books. The books were clearly in the YA section and that section was clearly marked as 12-18 year-old.
Here's my point - YA does not mean yeah, it means Young Adult. These books are for older teens. Young adults in fact. Personally I have always seen book banding to be like a recommended reading age and that recommendation gives you some idea of difficulty level (both in terms of prose and concept) and content appropriateness. Twelve year olds are what we call middle grade (9-13). There is no doubt that a lot of 12-year-olds will be well past MG books and would prefer to select from the YA shelf. As far as I'm concerned this is how it should be. A child should not feel bound by age bands. These are just recommendations. And there are plenty of YA novels that children of 12 and 13 can happily read without their mothers having a heart attack. However there are also plenty which are edgier and which reflect a more realistic and grittier side of growing older and many parents may not want their 12, 13 and possibly even 14-year-olds exposed to this. This is their choice and I fully respect it. However I feel this means they should teach their children (as I have done) how to chose books. My kids know how to look up reviews and research authors on the net and possibly most importantly, they know that I also am very familiar with YA authors. They know that I'm as likely to read any book that comes in the house as they are. There is nothing more likely to help a child be a discerning reader than the fact that their Mom's going to want to borrow their new book.
And that's the thing isn't it? If you care about the books that your children read you should take an active interest in what they are reading. It is not up to the public library service to monitor what your children read. That is your responsibility as a parent.
I do not believe that my children will be corrupted by literature. I think there are many books out there that might challenge them in the way they feel about certain things, how they think about certain things and how they view the world in which they live. I am not scared by this. I welcome it. I want my children to learn to think and to morally interrogate this world. They should not accept it at face value. They should have values of their own which they arrive at not only by instruction but through their own exploration. And reading - all sorts of reading - in invaluable in growing up a well rounded individual. I hope my kids will never feel they have to hide a book from me (as I did from my mother). I hope they will always know that they can come and discuss with me anything they read that they love, hate, are confused or enthused by. What I hope most of all is that my children will always have books that they will want to read.
I have to admit to you now that I have not read The Bermudez Triangle but I have read several other books by Maureen Johnson and I have to tell you that she is a superb writer. She writes about quite weighty subject matter without judgement, with the lightest of touches and she is also a wonderful humourist. It moved me very deeply that she appreciates so much that her books have touched the lives and helped teenagers who are struggling with issues - whether it is with their own sexuality, or with bereavement or simply with first love. I for one am very grateful for writers like her.
Young adult books are meant to relate to the lives of our young adults and as such will frequently have content which is too grown up for the average middle grader. This does not make it an adult book. It does not make it a smutty book. Our children will be faced with making tough choices in their lives and reading about those subjects can help to equip them to make good choices. And I for one do not want some Pink Jacket Lady with a stick up her ass censoring the books available to my child just because she was too damn lazy to inform herself about the reading material available to her child.
9 comments:
What a great post.
And what a great point. I don't read YA books (I sort of skipped over it when I was a teen) but now I am curious... and your point about parental involvement is right ont he money.
Oh, someone should tell here there are far easier ways to get corrupt out there if one wanted to. :P
And they are much faster than say reading a book. :P Much easier to hide too all you have to do is 'Delete all offline content' and just to be sure... 'Delete History - delete Temporary internet files' - 'delete Cookies' :D :D :D
Sections are just there to help us out. I have to the kids section to pick up my Artemis Fowl. If I am welcome in their country they are in mine. :)
PS: Am so a fan of Maureen Johnson after that video. She kicks some serious a**!
You are preaching to the choir, sister.
Unfortunately Fox News tends to cater to the absolutely lowest common denominator (intellectually speaking). Not knowing what they are talking about (as in the case of this book, and YA lit in general) will not stop them from voicing an inflammatory opinion.
Thanks for this wonderfully impassioned plea for reason . . . and book availability.
Kay - thank you. When I was a teenager books meant homework and I didn't read nearly as much for pleasure as I do now. I think that's why I love YA so much - I kind of missed a step. As to parental involvement I think when you have teens you have to tread a fine line between giving your kids the freedom they need to grow and experience life and being actively involved within it. Not knowing what's going on with them is simply foolish. What is vital to remember is that it is nobody else's responsibility to bring up your child but you. By the time our kids become teens we should hopefully have equipped them with the skills and values they need to make good choices because it is vital that the are given the freedom to negotiate the world and make choices of their own. That said, as parents we are still their main safety net so isn't it important to know which tightrope they are walking on at any given time?
Ah Aniket - you bring up another important subject- access to the internet. I have to say that I am frequently bamboozled by this one because the kids are so much more savvy than me. Luckily my Hubby is totally on top of it and they know it! My older children and I subscribe to a lot of the same stuff on YouTube and through me they have gotten into John and Hank Green's "Vlogbrothers" which is just fantastic. There are so many positive influences that come off the net. Again I am an advocate of "it's here, educate yourself and embrace it."
We're big Eoin Colfer fans in my house too. Glad to see that another Irish author is doing well internationally. And as for Maureen - go check out her blog. The woman rocks!
Bee - I have to say that it was the news anchors (particularly the woman as she did most of the talking) that shocked me the most. To be fair to Pink Jacket Lady she was at least responding to an instinct to "protect" even if she didn't apply any deep thought to it. But I have an expectation from News that it should be at least reliably accurate. I guess Fox is tabloid journalism at its worst. It makes me crazy! I think I'll be sticking to Kirsty Wark and Jeremy Paxman.
She seems like a lovely person and she makes some good points.
I've seen a lot of confusion about YA and what it means - but then, when I was a girl Judy Blume books (they talked about menstruation and masturbation - omg!) were considered shocking and my mother made sure I got every one when she discovered they won't available at the school library.
My son's book reading habits have surprised me but intriguingly he became VERY self-censoring at a young age. "This book is too scary for me to read" became a common refrain. H
Actually, the funny one was when he stopped reading one book from a series he had loved up until that point. He was around eleven I think and had read every book from this author but suddenly decided he wasn't reading any further. When I asked, he explained to me that the main character (male, teen) had a girlfriend now and was thinking about sex with her and that it spoiled the book. It wasn't
what he was reading the books for (they were action books about kid spies) and he didn't think it was appropriate. I have to admit that I found it hard not to laugh out loud.
This is, I suppose, a sort of rebellion. On the bright side, although he's mentioned books that "might upset or confuse" the youngest kids at his school to his librarian so that she knows what is in them, it's never occurred to him that those books should be removed!
Well said, Janey!
I'm wondering, having finally finished Killing God (Kevin Brooks' forthcoming book) what people will make of that. As he said to me - and as I discovered - it will be highly controversial. It is gritty, gutsy and utterly brilliant. The title pretty much tells you where he's going with it - and can you believe this, the place stop on his US book tour is going to be Texas... As he said, "talk about putting me in the lion's den". From what he could gather, it seems the book may well be banned in South Africa...
It is truly amazing how many books get banned. Google banned Newbery books and you'll get a shock.
Post a Comment