Yes you did really read that right.
Today, it came to light that children's author Philip "Beardy" Ardagh (writer of the Eddie Dickens series and the recently published Grubtown Tales) managed to get himself banned from Facebook. Now although I had not 'friend'ed him myself we do (or did) have quite a few friends in common so that we frequently 'met' on a comment trail (most recently a very edifying discussion on why having a large overdue baby is similar to giving birth to turkey) and I have often laughed out loud at his wit and all round good humour. He is (or was) an active Facebooker which apparently is the problem. As author Mary Hoffman explained beautifully in her blog, Book Maven,
....he took it into his head to wish someone a happy wedding anniversary and then compounded the felony by wishing someone else a happy birthday. He received two warnings from Facebook about abusive behaviour and has now disappeared from the site.
All his posts have also been removed.
Apparently being too sociable on this social network is frowned upon by the powers that be. Philip was, to say the least, a tad confused by all this and wondered if perhaps the PTB (powers that be) were in fact a tad beardist. Never let it said that members of British SCBWI will sit idly by while their hairy brother is being thus discriminated against. No! Fear not because the friends of Philip Ardagh are campaigning to have him reinstated so he can further entertain us for no fee.
Basically we want the beard back. And to show the Facebook PTB that we are not to be trifled with, friends (and in my case, would-be friends) of The Bearded One are donning beards in solidarity and publishing them on the group page dedicated to his return www.facebook.com/pages/Beardy-Ardagh/95221544449?ref=nf. And so dear bloggy friends I ask you if you too are on Facebook, to photoshop on your best beards and become a fan. I admit that at the time of posting I have no idea how to upload your hirsute visages (as mine was done by Absolute Vanilla who also created my Grizzly Adams look) but I will find out*. On a slightly more serious note for writers everywhere who are actively encouraged to use Facebook for promoting and marketing their books, we really do have to stand together and slap those PTB for this outrageously high-handed approach. Beardy needs us. So if you feel the same way, then please, please, beard up and join in.
This is me...

Do I remind anyone else of this?
* UPDATE: Absolute Vanilla tells me that you should be able to upload your pics into the fan album in the normal FB way once you are a fan.
23 comments:
That's just strange! And I'm not surprised, either. Thanks for letting people know about it.
Janey, you look simply smashing in facial hair : )
LOL! That beard on you is classic!
And how crazy that someone who seems so friendly could get axed out of Facebook when countless creeps remain on. It's just not right. Where are the PTB's priorities?
It is bizarre isn't it WW? One can only assume that they didn't read any content. He's a wonderful guy.
Kiersten - if I get tired of working in a school perhaps the circus would take me.
Renee - I don't have a clue about the 'why' - one assumes it must've been a mistake or misunderstanding. It is to be hope that if those PTB see what a popular 'friend' he is that he will be reinstated.
That grizzly adams look somehow suits you - I think you should keep it!
Thanks for posting about this - not just because it was Philip (and you must friend him when he's back!) but because FB has been shutting down a bundle of people in the last couple of weeks for so-called "abusive behaviour" - ie active social networking - and there I, stupidly, though that's what FB was all about. How wrong can a bearded person get!
I do not really understand the ban. (But when has that stopped anyone from the fun of protest? Particularly when it involves a beard?)
I had wondered what this was all about when I saw it on your blog.
BTW, I think of myself as a sociable hermit as well.
LOLed at the sight of your beard. Aerin must have freaked out.
"some of it even makes sense to me" Modest, you!!! :D :D
WHAT!!??? Are you serious? You can be banned for saying Happy Something too often? Did I miss something?
PS. Love that beard, baby.
AV - happy to help stem the wave of craziness with fake facial hair.
Bee - I honestly don't understand the ban either but it was suggested through our Beardy page that Facebook have been targeting people who write messages on other folks' walls. I'm not sure why but I think it might slow things up a bit. It's hardly 'abusive behaviour' to write messages to your friends. I think poor Philip's real crime was being an enthusiastic Facebooker. Writing is a very solitary business - I think that's why so many writers like FB. It's social contact in an otherwise hermitic existence. ;0)
Aniket - i must've freaked Aerin out - she's been sending me gallons of cocktails on Facebook and hasn't been seen in days. Of course that could be because she's been horrendously ill...
...Nah! It was probably the beard!
Robin - you didn't miss a thing- it's that bizarre. Still it's a good excuse to get hairy and give up showering.
Oh wait! - apparently showering is still allowed. Phew!
I don't get it. I know a couple of people who constantly write on walls (never to a comment trail, it's a bit annoying actually) and they've never had an issue.
I looked at the facebook group but there isn't really much information - has the guy actually said he's been banned? Or did he quit in a huff after the warnings?
All a bit odd.
Sylvia- It's very odd. He simply wished a friend happy anniversary and got a warning. Quoting from the discussions board on the FB page
Says Philip: "It all started when I tried to post silver-wedding-anniversary greetings on my brother-in-law's wall and FB sent me an automated 'you are engaing in abusive activity' warning. It did the same again when I sent Celia Rees birthday greetings"
They then froze him out of his account and he cannot log on or post any longer. I don't think there's anything to stop him going back using a different email address and moniker but he is a published and very successful children's author and (although his good humour continues to shine through) it's quite a slur I feel. He did nothing wrong. The whole thing is utterly ridiculous. That's why his friends in SCBWI-BI have decided to be as ridiculous back.
I didn't see your son on Saturday - but then again I couldn't find the bookshop either!
Very bizarre. And I absolutely agree, why should he jump through hoops to fix their problem!
My son didn't call me on Sunday so he's in big trouble now. My guess is that means they did something exciting over the weekend rather than the standard trip to Hailsham. Jealous? :)
How absolutely bizarre. But maybe FB has a flagging feature similar to Craigslist? I got banned from posting in one section of Craigslist because an ex decided to flag me as often as she could. I appealed the ban, but never heard a peep from Craigslist. I think these places get too big, too unwieldy and weird stuff happens. So they put in some obscure monitoring that happens automatically with no oversight. Works real well, I see.
Love the beard!
Just checking in on ya, Janey. You've still got school going on, right?
Thought I'd pop in and say Hi, just to say Hi. Hope you're doing well.
You still busy on Facebook? Hope you're keeping well and not too frazzled.
There's not much blogging going on here, my girl... Holidays soon, no excuses! You're missed! :-) xxx
Facebook should hide their face in shame, or grow a beard.
So what did the prison population think of your entry?
July 20, 2009 3:08 AM
JR's Thumbprints said...
3:08 AM? You're dedicated Janey!
I gave the prisoners in my classroom a select few stories of personal favorites (including my own) and regardless of educational level, their insight was truly amazing.
As for my story, after I'd already submitted it, I gave them a 5 question worksheet to do. Their answers floored me. What stood out was their mixed emotions. While most found "The Sober Truth..." hilarious, they also offered insight into their own childhoods, an insight that included neglect, abuse, alcoholism, and so forth. I don't want to ramble, but I found your question timely. Now I'm off to teach the unteachables. I'm glad you were entertained by my story.
July 20, 2009 5:27 AM
Yay!!! Congratulations Janey!
You totally deserve it! Its a mad mad world out there.
Quoting the comedian himself 'Once you realize what a big joke the whole world is... being a comedian is the only thing that makes sense.' Can't be more correct, right? :D
Oh good Lord! - Look at all the comments I have here!
I'm going to have to get my blogging finger out and get back in the saddle (I like a bit of metaphor stew don't you???)
I'll be back!
Congrats!
You deserve your success...probably the funniest entry I read.
I just had to zoom over here tout sweet to say huge CONGRATULATIONS! I'm thrilled to bits that you got Readers' Choice as well - of COURSE your entry was brilliant, but it also confirms that I have magnificent judgement since your story was the one that streaked to #1 on my favourites list! Bravo, Janey, so abundantly well deserved. Now all we need are a couple of your novels and all will be well with the world!
Now I'm off to read lots more of your blog. Oh, and don't forget to crack open the champers this weekend - after you've written the first draft of your book of course!
Post a Comment