So in my classroom the theme for this term is all about Knights and Castles and all things Medieval. During the morning discussion time on our first day back the teacher asked the children to come up with anything they knew about the topic. We had many and varied suggestions about weapons and armour, turrets and princesses, moats and drawbridges. Then there was a loud fanfare and a six foot tall Black Knight walked slowly and purposefully into the room. He was in full regalia - helmet, chainmail, armour, sword - the whole deal. You could've heard a penny drop (silence like this never happens in my classroom). The Knight handed a parchment to the teacher upon which was written a message from the Queen of a nearby moated castle requesting that the children train as knights and go on a quest. It was all very exciting.
After the Black Knight took his leave, the children were put into groups and asked to discuss how they could train to be a knight. I overheard a boy nearby tell his group...
"Did you know that Mr T. is a Knight?"
"Is he?"
"Yeah - coz he wears all that golden armour?"
"Isn't that just necklaces and stuff?"
"NO! It's coz he's a Knight!" The boy was very forcefully making his point and just make sure that there was no doubt about it he added, "Aaand not only that - he's ackshully the Queen's bodyguard. For real."
I don't know about you but my immediate image was of a blacked-out van screeching up to the door of Buckingham Palace. The door flies open in front of the waiting monarch. When a voice from the front yells,
"What you waitin' for? Get in the van fool!"
That had me chuckling all day.
8 comments:
That's wonderful!
I love the idea of the Black Knight too. School is so much more fun than when I was a kid.
Haha, that's wonderful imagery.
What a great class.
I was reading about fairy tales today and they are so much more complicated than I ever realised. It's quite depressing, actually.
LOL :)
Also, what a fun thing that must have been for your class! My daughter would have loved that. :)
Love it! I'm echoing Renee here, but my girls would've freaking loved it if that had happened to them!
(Hell, for that matter, so would I.)
Get in the van, fool
LOL
Poor Elizabeth. But maybe she'd actually like it.
Heehee! I can just see her majesty now.
FHH - Our teacher is just fabulous at coming up with ideas that'll really engage the kids. The Black Knight was actually the Headteacher. Getting him to do it was a stroke of genius.
Sylvia - fairy tales are really dark morality tales and the originals were awful. However the sanitized versions of today are no better. Today in class the teacher posed the question "Do all fairy tales end with "Happily Ever After?" I couldn't help mumble under my breath "not if you're the wolf!"
Renee - it was a fantastic morning and the kids really responded to it. They don't know how lucky they are to have such a terrific teacher!
Robin - I'm nearly 43 and I loved it! I kept thinking about Monty Python's Holy Grail though...
Sarah - Do you think she'd be amused?
I have no idea why this boy thought of Mr T but personally, I think it was inspired.
Lois - I'm still giggling at the thought of the two of them in the same room...
I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall!!
Post a Comment