I'm struggling to find anything to post about.
School's back and in full swing again and I'm really enjoying it. In the last weeks of August I did quite a lot of writing and I haven't done much since. I've been giving myself the chance to settle back in at work but actually the truth is I'm not in the mood.
I KNOW!
Honestly one of these years I'll figure out the peaks and troughs of my writing moods and I'll work out a timetable that fits in with the peaks. I find that I'm dreaming a lot. Sometimes it's about my WIPs, sometimes it's about my future and sometimes it's just a little idea that I'm spinning around in my imagination. Did you ever 'take a line for a walk' in art class when you were a kid? Just take a black crayon on a blank sheet and twirl it around any which way to see what shows up. Then afterwards you colour in all the shapes it made to see if you can see a pattern? Well I'm doing that with little ideas, just to see what comes up. Right now it's a lot of scribbles but who knows perhaps there's a Picasso just around the corner.
I read somewhere this week that Mercury - the planet of communication - is currently retrograde. This means (I'm told) that plans get scuppered, things are a bit frustrating and anything to do with communication is fraught with frustrations. On the other hand it's a very good time (apparently) to go over things and check details so all those of you who are revising and editing have the stars on your side. There's always an upside if you look hard enough. Anyway I'm not letting my lack of output frustrate me. I'm just going to take my mind for a walk and see what shows up.
What are you guys up to?
14 comments:
What a great analogy - the 'taking a walk with your crayon' and seeing what shows up. Love it!
August was a rough month, editing-wise. So it's good to know the stars are finally going to be on my side. :)
Also, I love your idea of taking a line for a walk. Sounds fun! I just might try that.
Yay! I need stars on my side. Editing is brutal, heh.
I thinking about changing the POV of my story. Does that mean I'm editing? or rewriting? Hmmm. I'm mostly doing life things really right now.
Doing editing, but I'm also considering turning my poetry into a book. Maybe I should wait on that one.
I am on a spirit walk. Dunno where it'll lead to.
I know my decisions as to how I'll spend my next two years will more or less shape up the next couple of decades.
So its the blue pill - red pill situation for me. I want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.. I really do. Just need that push to jump in.
Not making much sense, am I? :P
Oddly enough, I'm having a very productive week, so Mercury should go retrograde more often.
That said, I have to consider the influence of the Sun in Virgo, the movement of the Moon through both Aries and Taurus and the discount ciabattas from Tesco forming a perfect conjunction with my home-grown tomatoes.
Monnik - it always comes back to a pre-school analogy for me. I think that might be my level.
Renee - I found August to be fairly good creatively, in the end, although initially I was all over the place. The last week particularly was excellent for consolidating ideas.
Have a go at taking the line for a walk. I find it works best when you don't over think it. Just meander.
Natalie - Brutal but with a purpose. Seem to me that the stars are definitely on your side!
Lois - I've changed the POV in my first WIP twice. To me it felt like re-writing especially since each new perspective brought new ideas. I don't envy you one bit. I will say though that the switch to 1st and back again to 3rd helped me to get a really good hold of my MC - so it was worth it.
Mostly I'm doing life stuff now too.
Sarah - I would love to see your poetry in a book. It's amazing. I really know diddly squat about the stars but I'm a firm believer in following your instincts. ;o)
Aniket - you are making lots of sense. I am seeing those pills ever time I turn a corner and I'm avoiding the choice right now. While you are on your spirit walk, I am treading water. The thing about having kids and a mortgage and bills is sometimes you have to stay in one world and hope your dream or exploring the rabbit hole will still be there when the time is right for you. Do you think Morpheus will come back when the stupid economic situation improves?
Whirl - I'm convinced right now that the sun is in Uranus.
BOOM! BOOM!
Sometimes it does feel like blogging about yourself is too much, but people really do seem interested.
I also like 'taking a walk with your crayon'.
Hey Janey -
Do you keep a pad of paper and a pen on your nightstand? If so, jot down the sentences that come to you when you're just waking up and thinking about your WIP or other writing, then use them later - type them on a doc and see what else comes out to play - fleshing out what you've written, maybe using an hour or so on a lazy weekend afternoon, here and there. You can write all school year that way, and it's a joy. Then put together when you have time. Just a thought.
As for what to write about on your blog, I loved the stories about the kids last year, and what all they did. The little slices of insight were wonderful.
Retrograde Mercury explains my life at the moment, then.
May the words pour forth soon! xx
Mercury in retrograde is a good time to do anything involve "re" - review, rewrite, reconsider... But not a good time for travelling or making new plans!
Do you have that cute little guy in your class this year - the one you had to hold onto when he was pretendingnot to be afraid? If not, does he have a likely succesor among the new class?
Hi Jane, I've missed seeing you around lately. I hope it's for fun reasons not just being hopelessly overworked.
Post a Comment