Saturday, 14 February 2009

Happy Valentine's Day.


I know lots of people hate Valentine's Day. It's the archetypal Hallmark Holiday - invented for totally commercial purposes for the fleecing of the intellectually impaired - i.e. those in the throes of first love.

Well I'm not such a cynic. Yes! Yes! I know that all that's true but it's also true (I believe) that love isn't celebrated nearly enough. We live busy, busy lives and days, weeks and even months can fly by in a blink without taking the time to really appreciate the love in your life. The oldest argument in the book against February 14th is that "I don't need a special day to buy you flowers or tell you how I feel." And that's quite true. But friends and lovers everywhere I have to ask how often do you remember to do it? Certainly I believe that you shouldn't only be romantic with each other on this day but I do feel having a special day put aside that grants you permission to go all out and ham it up for the love of your life can only be a good thing. Remember your romantic gesture doesn't have to help Hallmark at all - a simple handwritten letter is more romantic than almost anything. I think that taking the time and putting in a little effort to woo the love of your life is always worth it.

So, to you all I wish a very Happy Valentine's Day. Go on … tell the one you love just how much they mean to you.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, lovely post! Hope you have a wonderful, love-filled, totally cherishable Valentine's Day, gorgeous!
xxx

JaneyV said...

You too Bannina! Hubby gave me a card this morning that said "Even with a crocked back and runny nose , I will always love you". That's a sentiment that I will always cherish for sure!

Sara Raasch said...

Awe! So true :) Happy V-Day!

Natalie Whipple said...

I am a V-day cynic, and you somehow got to me with this post, Janey. You sweetheart. Thanks for melting my frozen heart.

fairyhedgehog said...

Hope you have a wonderful day and feel well enough to enjoy your meal out.

Your husband sounds like a great guy.

Aniket Thakkar said...

Very true Janey! Everyone should stop once in a while to appreciate their loved ones and remind them how much we love them! They already know it... but they always love reminders! :-D

A very happy Valentines day to you and your loved ones!

Sarah Laurenson said...

Ah, but I love another occassion to splurge and buy something fun for my wife. I can't do it every day, but these days give me a good reason to just let loose and get her something I know she'll love. And no Hallmark in sight.

The rest of the days, I take the time to tell her how wonderful she is and how much I love her.

Thanks for such a great post. The note from your hubby sounds delish. That is true love!

JaneyV said...

Sara Happy V-day back atcha.

Oooh Natalie - I love to melt the heart of a cynic. It's one of my favouritest things. It's always worth remembering that the people who want to sell you things don't own the rights on love or romance and you can always claim it back from them. What comes from the heart is always worth so much more.

FairyHH - Hubby is a great guy. He's wonderful! I'm looking forward to our night out tonight. Which reminds me - I really ought to think about what I'm going to wear!

Absolutely Aniket - I remember from your CofN entry that you're a bit of a romantic at heart. Vive l'amour I say!

Sarah - that sounds just perfect! It's all about valuing that special person.
I have to admit I think my Hubby is delish too!

lotusgirl said...

Happy V Day to you too! I love the sweet sentiments. Your hubby deserves a hug and a cough--I mean kiss! I love my flowers my hubby got me.

Whirlochre said...

Candlelight, chocolates, flowers, snogging — it's the closest most of us will get to seeing Barry Manilow live.

Unknown said...

That first paragraph that you wrote sounds sooo much like my wife!!! lol

Chris Eldin said...

Happy Valentine's to you also!
:-)

Sorry for this copy and paste....

Hi,

I wanted to ask you if you could take a moment and send me an email at my new email address:

chriseldin1@gmail.com

(You don’t have to write anything, I just want your email address for my new contact list, if that’s okay).
The hotmail server where I am has been locked up for over a week, and I can’t access my contact list. I’m sorry I’m posting this on your blog. And I’m also sorry this is a copy and paste letter. Will be back around….
Thanks!! And if you can’t, no worries!

Gutsy Living said...

The best present for me was that my husband gave me a card, champagne and flowers, a week early. I honestly thought he had the wrong date, but he said that way I wouldn't be expecting it, and he was right.

Robin B. said...

Hope you had a good one, Janey!

fairyhedgehog said...

GutsyWriter: that's wonderful! How very thoughtful of him.

JaneyV said...

Lotus - oh he got plenty of coughs, poor thing, but it was a wonderful evening. I got beautiful flowers too. ;0)

Yes Whirl all of that but thankfully without the addition of Mandy! I hope that SoW is feeling better now so that you and Girly of Whirly get a chance to swing your spangly pants soon.

Sabrae - my Hubby used to be the same but I've won him around to my way of thinking. Or at least he plays the part well because he knows I like it. That's pretty cool too.

Chris - an email has winged its way to you. Bummer about not being able to come in April but I've no doubt there'll be many more in the future!

Oh GustsyWriter - that's really lovely. The thought process is wonderful - almost "I reject Hallmark but Vive le Romance!" Wonderful!

Robin - it was absolutely wonderful. ;0)

I concur FHH - I so concur!

Renee Collins said...

Great post, Janey. I totally agree! I've had my moments when I was down on Valentines Day, but, you know, sometimes we need a national holiday to get us to do the things we should do anyway.

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

Exactly!

Anonymous said...

Hey Janey!! My friendly neighborhood reminder:

Hi, I'm stopping by to remind you about the 2009 Writing Challenge I'm hosting. Make sure to check in!