Thursday, 25 September 2008

This is True Job Satisfaction.

I wouldn't normally talk about work because of confidentiality issues but I think as long as I steer clear of talking about individuals it's OK. I'm just going to tell you about my day.

Today I went to work dressed as Mary Poppins. Why? Well … because it's Mary Poppins Day of course! You didn't know that? Duh! I thought everyone knew that! OK so I didn't know either till a few weeks ago but it's marked in my calander again for next year because Mary Poppins Day is THE. BEST. DAY. EVER.

I wasn't so sure a I squeezed my Michelin Man figure into a seriously slim-fitting long skirt, fitted blouse and fitted jacked. It was all very fitted. And it didn't really fit. But not to worry, with my shiny black boots on and my feet standing at 180ยบ from each other, I was everything a practically perfect Nanny should be. Well almost … I couldn't find an umbrella and I had to drive to work instead. But hey - I said I was practically perfect.

Classes 1 and 2 - so ages 4 to 7 - and teaching staff took part. You've never seen so many people totally embracing the notion of Role Play. We had Berts, Marys, Janes, Michaels and Chimney Sweeps galore. In fact the dabbing on of coal soot was embraced with great gusto.

We watched the bit of the movie where Mary first arrives noting at all times what perfect manners Mary Poppins had. It's also Good Manners Week at my school so that was a very important part of the lesson. At the point where Mary takes the children to the park and they Bert doing some pavement drawings we all marched outside and drew on an enormous (probably 60' long) sheet of paper our favourite piece of the film so far. The children drew enormous houses with weather vanes, children with kites, one-man-bands, Nannies with flying umbrellas - one even drew a medicine bottle with spoon full of sugar. The creative expression was just amazing.

We pretended to be chimney sweeps, to take our medicine (it was fruit smoothie) and we sang our little hearts out. I have never had so much fun working in my life. If I were to give a report on the day, it would read as follows:

Synopsis of day:

I have had no time left in our fun-packed morning to write about it as we have been far too busy being supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Normal function will resume again when the wind changes direction.

13 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

SO fun! Wow, we never had anything like that at my school as a kid. I loved Ms. Poppins back then, man, I haven't seen that movie in so long.

Whirlochre said...

Sounds great fun. Just hoping it isn't Terminator II day next week...

Never Settle said...

Mary Poppins day (or week as I will now modify it for use in my preschool) sounds... well... practically perfect in every way!

Sorry for stealing the idea, but it's just too... again... practically perfect!

Barrie said...

I want a Mary Poppins' Day! Wah! Hey! How about a photo?

Unknown said...

Oh wow! Such fun! Shame about the lack of umbrella though.

I remember when I was little, Jane and Michael Banks were my bestest friends - for years!

Renee Collins said...

Oh gosh, that sound so awesome! Mary Poppins day. I love it. And it's so great that people got into it. It actually confirms my belief that adults crave the opportinuty to play dress up and play pretend. :)

Aine said...

How fun is that!?

I want a job like yours!

The last time I had that kind of creative fun was at a Harry Potter convention-- I coordinated the feasts (including decorating the Great Hall) and ran the Tri-wizard tournament.

Did you have a carousel horse race too? Chim-chiminey will be in my head for the rest of the day now... :)

Robin B. said...

This sounds absolutely wonderful!

And you get to do it next year as well? You're lucky - I love Mary Poppins, even with Dick Van Dyke's hoot accent. I watch it once a year, for memories.

Bee said...

Your school sounds delightful! Aren't you fortunate to have job satisfaction? (I've been wondering how you were getting on with the new job.)

I loved the Mary Poppins world -- although I did always think that Mary was a bit too blunt to have truly perfect manners.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Awwww, that is way too cool!

JaneyV said...

Natalie It was such fun. I never saw Mary Poppins as a kiddie (I'm so old they hadn't invented video back then) - I had to wait till I had children of my own. It's so worth it though. A real gem.

Whirl LOL - thing is, I fear most days turn into T2 days at some point. I've lost count of the number of oozie 9mms that get brought in for show and tell. No wait - that's the first one, right?

Never Settle Do it. It was a blast! And everyone loved it. Please steal it with my blessing.

Barrie There were photos taken but alas not by me. I am the person that you can always depend upon to forget their camera.

AV I too am miffed at the lack of umbrella. Next year i shall not be so underprepared. It was a waste of a smashing wind too.

Renee Oh yes - the grown-ups enjoyed it much more than the kids, without a doubt. Can't wait for ninja day!

Aine No, unfortunately no carousel horse races (although we did get to watch that bit just before lunch). Harry Potter Day sounds like a great idea! It's a Church of England school though so someone is bound to object to the whole witch thing. They don't even allow Hallowe'en - that's how anal they are about all things pagan. In Catholic Ireland it's practically part of the curriculum!

Robin I think Dick Van Dyke is amazing in this (and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang). Yes his Cockney accent is rather dodgy but he is so bloody talented.

Bee The job's going very well although I am rather cream crackered most days. I don't know what I'd be like if I had a full-time job!

It's funny you think Mary P is blunt. It does feel like that to a modern audience, I'm sure, but she is the archetypal no-nonsense English Nanny. I think most people find her directness endearing. Although, to be sure, it would not be acceptable these days.

Ello It was a lot of fun! How do you think your students would react to you coming in to class dressed up? I guess they'd have to grow a sense of humour first eh?

Unknown said...

Hey sis, sounds like the perfect job, I'm really glad you like it. Been busy lately, back at college so haven't read ur page in a while, great to catch up.XXX

JaneyV said...

Hey Sis - gr8 to hear from you. The job is wonderful. It's a very special place and I'm feeling very lucky to have got the job. I still get to bring the young fella to school and pick him up and i only have to leave the dog a few hours every day. Couldn't be better.

College sounds busy. Hope it's all going well :0) x