Tuesday, 6 May 2008

Summer Learning, Epiphanies & Footwear

I've just started a 12 week online course with The Open University called Start Writing Fiction and I'm playing hooky already. I am still on schedule though and I'm determined, this time, to be a diligent student and get all my assignments in on the due date. It is, indeed, time to break the habit of a lifetime. I'm quite excited about this though and I'm hoping that it'll give me the proper focus to tighten up The Project which, in truth, has been floundering in the last weeks. It has already started to work actually as I had some good ideas for character development when I was out walking the dog this morning.

That's when I work out my writery bugs - pounding the earth out there, whatever the weather, with the Pooch. At least it's when I mean to do it. Unfortunately if there's anything preying on my mind it tends to usurp my creative thinking time so I can iron out those bugs instead. But I have, in the last week or so, had an epiphany of sorts. Actually I've had this epiphany before but it obviously didn't get internalised so I went and had it again. Just to be sure!

Mulling over stuff that's on your mind doesn't fix anything. It just makes you think about stuff that's on your mind for longer. It's a waste of my time and energy. If you have a problem - seek a solution - don't think about the problem. It's so bloody obvious I don't know why it's taken me several epiphanies to really know it!

So today, with priorities re-established I wondered around a country park waving my hands and talking to myself as happy as the proverbial pig in shit that I'm back to my normal sane self again!

I don't know what the weather's been like where you are but round the South East of England it is gorgeous! Summery loveliness abounds and there are smiles on the faces of all those you meet. I LOVE May. All warm and sunny with Toy Story clouds in the deep blue sky before the heat gets unbearable and the pollen goes on the attack. 'Swonderful, 'Smarvellous, 'Slovely! And more important still is the chance to ditch mucky boots and get my feet into sandals!

I know the adage goes "Ne'er shed a clout till may be out" but the way I see it if you abbreviate 'clothing' so that it reads to same as a smack in the gob - then you deserve to be ignored! This morning I shook out my three-quarter length trousers (I'm a white, freckly Celt - that's practically the same as getting naked - only not so unsightly or offensive to the general public), a light cotton top and I put on my walking sandals. I'm more of a practical person when it comes to footwear - they HAVE to be comfy! I only wear shoes that put aesthetics over comfort when I know I'm going to be sitting down a lot. It was a bit of a shock then when I noticed the feet that I'd hidden away in thick wooly socks for the last six months were looking a bit ... shall we say, jaded? In total need of a good moisturising, exfoliating and toenail-polishing. Thing is, I'm a bit weird when it comes to feet. Although I know I could do with a trip to a pedicurist and reflexologist, - it just won't be happening any time soon so I think it'll be a trip to the Scholl counter in Boots for creams, lotions and a good pumice stone. In the meanwhile I thought the least I could do was paint my nails.

Small son (Child #3) came into my bedroom.
"Mama - wotcha doin'?"

"I'm making my toenails pretty and pink."

"I like blue."

"I don't have any blue I'm afraid," I lied. I have, but I look like I've trapped my foot in a door and I'm about to lose my nails when I wear it!

"You can buy it in the shop - then I wear it."

"OK Honey."

Then small son comes close and gets his nose right next to the nail polish.

"Nail polish has a funny smell doesn't it?" I say, looking at his scrunched up nose.

"Yes it does. It does!"

"I suppose it's a chemical smell - it's not very nice stuff."

"No it's not [sniff, sniff] ... smells like .. smells like .. What is that smell?"

"It just smells like nail polish to me. It has its own smell."

"No .. it smells like dog poo. I don't want any blue ones."

So with toes radiant with pink polish and apparently whiffing of dog-poo, I greeted the wonderful summer sunshine for the first time this year in comfy sandals.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! :-) Brilliant post, sitting here chuckling. And children have such a way with words, don't they!

Bee said...

Wasn't the weather WONDERFUL today? I spent loads of time outside, too . . . walking, playing tennis, messing about in the garden . . . I even hung out several loads of laundry! (new green resolution)

It must be the Texan sandal wearing part of me, but I feel a lot better about life when my toes are painted. (I never paint my fingernails though . . . and can't explain this inconsistency.)

I often "write" my novels while walking . . . but then they elude me when I sit down at the computer. Good luck with your writing course . . . I am really interested to hear what you think of it. And if it helps you.

JaneyV said...

Thanks Vanilla - so glad to have you back. And yes indeed they have a marvellous turn of phrase - Luckily I'm happy with the lavatorial!

Bee - Oh yes it's divine again today and I too am hanging out the washing and giving the dryer a well-earned rest. I like to help the planet, of course ,but there's just something so satisfying about watching your laundry billowing in a warm breeze. I don't know why but I just like it.
Strangely I too only paint my toe-nails. Weird isn't it! Thanks for the encouragement too. They don't allow you to publish anything you write or comments they make on the internet because of plagiarism worries but I can certainly give general feedback about the course itself ... I think!

Anonymous said...

Acetone as dog poo.... Hmmm. Not sure I would have put those two together. ;)

JaneyV said...

Jason -He thought the smell was disgusting - dog poo is a cover-all description for all that is yucky! He has a point - it's a horrible pong! While I'm waiting for them to dry I'm quite glad my toes are 5' from my nose. ;0)

Her Indoors said...

Ah kids are funny- I love the things they come out with. I was sat in a pub beer garden last weekend with some friends enjoying a glass of wine, when Sadie suddenly piped up "Mummmy- you're growing a moustache!". She also once announced on the bus on the way to nursery that my breath smelt of fish (I had had kipper for breakfast, but how do you explain to a bus loads of sniggering strangers that this is the reason).....Loving your blog btw. Read it every day xx

JaneyV said...

Cathy I tell my daughter she's growing moustache all the time - funny how it always seems to be after she's had chocolate milk.
You had a red wine smile didn't you?
Thanks for saying nice things - I love to hear them. And as you know I'm and avid reader of yours too! ;0)

Barrie said...

Great weather here too. And I'm also totally into comfy shoes. Good luck with your class! Definitely don't be a slacker. :)

Unknown said...

Hmm, methinks the weather must be so good it's keeping you away from blogging! ;-)